• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maa's abscess results

elve

Banned
Well the swab went to the lab and came back saying bacteriodes and peptostreptococcus - nasty anaerobic bacteria like MRSA :shock:

so the vet brushed aside my request for duphapen with 'it's not licensed in the UK and I think you'll find that ladies who run rescues know a lot less about rabbits than your average vet!' :x

But she did admit that baytril was useless for this one - and has prescribed metronidazole for a week - large tablets I have to somehow halve and get into Maa :?

The other drugs the lab suggested were amoxycillin, of which duphapen is a version, injectable only (but even then it kills rabbits so she said :roll: ) and clindamycin.

She had apparently left a drain hole at the bottom of Maa's wound, and this was going to be used to check the next day if any pus had been produced - I never went to the vets in the end and it healed up, so I got a good telling off - If the metronidazole doesn't work we will have to leave it open next time and clean it out till it stops producing - but as it's connected to her mouth I don't think that is going to be easy to clean thoroughly.

Meantime Maa has produced no discernable pus at all - the eye socket wound is all healed nicely and no swelling yet - but it may be deep inside her head.

She's bright and perky anyway - didn't want to go to the vets although she was desperate to get the pellets in her carrier - She thumped and stomped up and down snorting, but in the end her tummy won the argument :lol:

:shock: hope she is on the road to recovery soon . How are you going to get the tablets into her ?? maybe crushing them and mixing in babyfood ?

they are about 1cm diameter - I've got to halve it and crush it or whatever to get her to eat it - The vet said syringe crushed tablet in water into her mouth - yeah right! :roll:

we get tablets into buns by cruching it between two spoons then mixing it with a bit of baby food or fruit juice and syringing it into the buns mouth.

good luck elve . :shock: i know you can do it :?

Angie

P.S. another trick ive used (and yes i know its naughty food but needs must sometimes ) is to put medication onto a small piece of bread and jam with the medication folded inside .most buns cant resist it.

elve said:
they are about 1cm diameter - I've got to halve it and crush it or whatever to get her to eat it - The vet said syringe crushed tablet in water into her mouth - yeah right! :roll:
You can get a paediatric metronidazole suspension. Now, do we think Elve's E-V-R-S-O co-operative Vet would do her a prescription for it so Elve could take script to a Pharmacy :? :? ....Yeah right........probably not...... :roll: :roll: Glad to hear Maa is doing OK and is still enjoying her grub :wink: :D :D Jane and Buns xx

When my old bun bilbo, needed to take his tablets, I had to crush some up with a bit of weetabix made all slushy with water or soya milk. I hope maa gets better soon, good to hear she's still eating ok.

so many good tips there I'm sure one of them will work - thank you everybun :D

Have just been phoned by a lady who knows the lady who runs the rescue that Maa and her girls came from (Kirkby) - Apparently she's the one who got Maa and girls off the previous owner, who had let Maa run around in her garden free all the time, with an unneutered buck who is still there today, freezing his paws off :roll:

Maa was called Willow back in those days - my girls are older than I thought too - nearly 18mnths old and I thought they were only one! :shock: Maa is about 2 or 3yrs old she reckoned - This lady has one of their brothers from another litter - looks like Primrose the white one - Nice to get some history about my girls :D

Maa's love of food helped with the antibiotics - crushed the half tablet and mixed into some mushed up pellets and she wolfed it all down :D

She's a really lovely, gentle girl - so big and clumsy looking but so pretty too - very endearing and no trouble at all - I hope she gets better! She's just leapt into her hay box when I put fresh hay in and she's tearing away at it like it's caviar - She always sits with her blind side to me, and I think it's sweet that she feels secure enough to ignore me as she's deaf too - although I think she'd ignore anyone with food in front of her :lol:

She's learnt to feel footsteps through the floorboards now, so she leaps out of her crate when she 'hears' me coming - otherwise it's her fave place to be! :)

thanks :D that's what I figure too - the vet says she's never had a rabbit in that sits up an hour after surgery looking for dinner, like nothing's happened! :lol:

hi elve . just read how Maa trusts you to sit with her good eye away from you etc. i m not a great believer in fate and all that ,but it does strike me that Maa has become ill for a reason . look at the closeness you 2 have now. im sure she was perfectly happy with her girls before but i think you both have something realy special between you now.

give her a nose rub from me :)

Angie

aww thanks Angie - that's a very nice thing to say :D

I'd rather Maa was still in good health with her girls, but she seems just as happy now - and the girls have a bit more room in there - 5 bunnies was pushing it!

I never appreciated what a lovely bunny Maa is before though - I wonder what her girls would be like individually - when they are in a pack, they run with the pack - you never get to know them the same way, but I guess it's a nice life for them - they seem happy :D

I'm glad to hear she is doing well, and that you have another antibiotic for her. That good appetite of hers ought to help her pull through :D It makes a huge difference. I'm sure that is why Lace is still doing so well. Her abcess has subsided again and she seems stronger than ever. These ginger girlies like their food :D

Back