• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grunting and chasing should I be worried?

rineyroo

Mama Doe
Snowy and Horatio have been bonded for nearly three months now. Just recently I've noticed Horatio has become more aggressive to Snowy and started chasing her a bit but then he'd start grooming her again. Tonight he was grunting and chasing her. Should I be worried? He wasn't his usual self towards me too. I've checked him and over and he seems physically fine. What is causing this new aggression? Could it be that he's trying to be dominant one as he used to be the submissive one?

Could this be due to sexual maturity in your boy bunny?

You haven't said how old they are and if they have been neutered or not.

If they haven't been neutered then the little boy is telling the little girl that he wouldn't mind making some little bunnies.

They've both been neutered. Horatio is 9 months old was castrated 4 months ago. Snowy is 18 months old and was spayed a couple of weeks after Horatio.
I wonder if boredom could be the reason he's being so nasty. I try to give them plenty to do in the hutch. The hutch is a good size (7ft x 2.5ft x 3ft) and they have lots of toys, boxes, a house, a tube, balls, bunny boredom buster and a toss and throw toy. They were only out for a couple of hours today. Usually they'd be out from dawn to sunset. :? :( :?:

Does she fight back or just run? Have you checked to see if she has any bites on her?
Some bucks seem to like this chasing business. I have had to remove a couple of does from Hazel as he is such a bully :? He gets worse if they are unwell unfortunately :evil: He is with Hyzenthlay at the moment and chases her quite badly sometimes :cry: They sound like a herd of elephants galloping about upstairs. I am leaving them together for now as she has snuffles and so can't be partnered with any of the other rabbits :? They still groom eachother, so I think it is better for her to be with him than to be alone :?
Bramble likes to chase Wizz too, although if she doesn't run he doesn't get nasty and growl the way Hazel does.

Niamh is like that too she's always chasing and nipping Splodge's bum! :shock: She's a right madam but he's a pretty chilled out bun and seems to quite like her so i usually leave them :? Once she was being an absolute nightmare though I didn't know what to do with her she just wouldn't leave him alone and he was starting to get stressed. I picked her up and had a chat, put her out in the garden which she hates, even threw a cup of water over her and she still wouldn't stop! :evil: In the end she she seemed to wear herself out and snuggle up with him! :? Rabbits!!! :lol:

She tends to run away. Sometimes she'll stamp and glare at him back.
He's not been biting her. I just saw them and they were sat near each other though not snuggled up. :(

If he's not hurting her I'd just leave them to it, but keep an eye on them incase she does turn on him, he's prob fed up of being the submissive one and is trying to be assertive! :lol:

When Miffy first arrived Miles had this thing about trying to hump her constantly! :oops: She just ran away for a few days, but then on day three she was SO fed up of Miles trying to have his way with her, she ran round the back of him and started giving him one!! :shock: :lol: Funniest thing I've ever seen in my life, the look on Miles' face was priceless: "What the blazes is happening here?!!" Then Miffy just finished with him, and ran off under the sofa, leaving a shell-shocked Miles standing goggle-eyed in the middle of the carpet!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Since then it's just been chasing, which Miffy seems to have got totally used to and in fact turns into a game - she binkies away from him rather than just running.

I hope they settle down soon, keep us posted!

AMETHYST

Today he's back to his usual angelic self, licking me and grooming Snowy. Since its mild today, I thought it could've been the very cold weather yesterday making him grumpy. Come to think of it, my boss was very grumpy yesterday too! :lol:

yes probably! :lol: He's inside now but during the last cold spell Fudge got really aggressive and had my shoe a couple of times and managed to get my ankle once! Still got the scar!!! :shock:

Back