• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VETS GRRRRR (Alfies absess) tried a new vet :)

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Im so angry :evil:
Ive just been the the vets with alfie,i said that the stuff they gave me for his absess hadnt worked and that a lady i know suggested using penicillen injections duphapen,as she had treated bone absess that way,the vet said would i be happy injecting him,which i replied yes,but he then turned around and said he wouldnt be happy in giving me this for alfie!!!!!!
its too strong for rabbits and can cause problems long term,he said he thought i should get a second opinion,but he wasnt giving the penicillen!
He said i can give you another antibiotic,it called baytril,i said there is no point it doesnt work!!!!!!! he said the only other thing i can suggest which i shouldnt really tell you is to ask this lady if she can give you some it is illegal,but its up to you,or i can go to her vets and get them to treat him!!!

I think he was peeved i seemed to know more than him,so i wasted time and money this morning,i wouldnt mind but it takes me 40 mins to get to this vet i then had to wait untill 11.40 to go in when my appointment was at 11am!

ah yes - the words 'vet' 'waste of time and money' ring a bell with me too :(

Am off to see about Maa's abscess tomorrow as she has the swab results back (did your vet do a swab of Alfie's abscess?)

You could ask your vet if he'd agree to give penecillin to Alfie if you sign a disclaimer - I had to sign one when I took my son home from hospital as 24hrs wasn't long enough apparently :roll:

He did mention something about taking a swab,i was just so peed off i wasnt taking it all in,he was jabbering on about removing the absess,godnows how its in bone,that would be a major op!

bluebunny said:
So what do i do now? find a vet who will perscribe it?
Are you a member of the RWA?? If so they have a nationwide list of Bunny Savvy Vets. If not, I can email them for a list of recommended Vets in your area. Or you could phone around local Vets yourself,explain your situation re the Penicillin and see what sort of responses you get. Just dont give up trying!! As you will no doubt realise infection in the bone is very hard to treat and sometimes it may be that just containing the infection is all you can do. Surgery to remove the infected bone is one option, but if there is a lot of bone involved it may not be a viable option. An experienced Veterinary Radiologist would be able to assess the extent of bone disease from an X-ray BEFORE putting Alfie through invasive surgery. I would suggest you try to find a Vet who will agree to prescribe the penicillin. Jane and Buns xx

I would have to agree with Jane on this one. I would imagine he only doesnt want to give it to you because YOU suggested it :roll: some of these vets are too stuborn for their own good :evil: . I would suggest you look for another vet that will prescribe it for you. Lucy, my french lop cross has to have it long term because of a reoccuring sinus infection, as soon as she goes back on it it clears up very quickly. She has never shown any ill effects from it.

Cheryl

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
Are you a member of the RWA?? If so they have a nationwide list of Bunny Savvy Vets. If not, I can email them for a list of recommended Vets in your area. Or you could phone around local Vets yourself,explain your situation re the Penicillin and see what sort of responses you get. Just dont give up trying!! As you will no doubt realise infection in the bone is very hard to treat and sometimes it may be that just containing the infection is all you can do. Surgery to remove the infected bone is one option, but if there is a lot of bone involved it may not be a viable option. An experienced Veterinary Radiologist would be able to assess the extent of bone disease from an X-ray BEFORE putting Alfie through invasive surgery. I would suggest you try to find a Vet who will agree to prescribe the penicillin. Jane and Buns xx
Could you get me a list please?
i live in coalville leicestershire

sgprescue said:
I would have to agree with Jane on this one. I would imagine he only doesnt want to give it to you because YOU suggested it :roll: some of these vets are too stuborn for their own good :evil: . I would suggest you look for another vet that will prescribe it for you. Lucy, my french lop cross has to have it long term because of a reoccuring sinus infection, as soon as she goes back on it it clears up very quickly. She has never shown any ill effects from it.

Cheryl
I rang two other vets they dont stock it either :(

bluebunny said:
sgprescue said:

Cheryl

My vets dont stock it either but they are happy to order it in for me. It comes in 40ml and 100ml viles

How far are you from honeybunny? She might be able to recommend her vet, who presumably has quickly become more rabbit savvy in the past few months!! (sorry Jill if that lands you in it!)

AlisonA said:
How far are you from honeybunny? She might be able to recommend her vet, who presumably has quickly become more rabbit savvy in the past few months!! (sorry Jill if that lands you in it!)
Not too far

sgprescue said:
bluebunny said:
sgprescue said:

Cheryl

My vets dont stock it either but they are happy to order it in for me. It comes in 40ml and 100ml viles
The vet i went to this morning had no intention of ordering it in he just said he would let me have any
my friend works in a vets and gets me the odd bottle of baytril,metacam,she didnt have any at her vets either,but asked if there was anything near enough the same i could use?

I had trouble finding a vet that was ferret safe. The first i went to was scared of them, even though i was handling them. I knew there was one about 20 miles away, but htat was no good in an emergency. Then i found the one i am at now. They have been great with all our animals and don't treat us like we know nothing. After all they are our pets and know them best!!

bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
Could you get me a list please?
i live in coalville leicestershire
Will do!! RWA may take a few days to respond but will forward the list to you ASAP!! Jane and Buns xx

bluebunny said:
JCO said:
Just found this website. Dont know if they are too far from you. Have a look in the 'case studies' in the site map. Seem quite a forward looking proactive practice....?? Jane and Buns xx http://www.fairfield-vets.co.uk/index.htm
Well actually funny you should mention this vets i work at a hydro pool for dogs a lot of my clients use these vets and highly reccomend them!
I'd give them a ring and 'interview them' re their Rabbit knowledge...!! Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
JCO said:
Just found this website. Dont know if they are too far from you. Have a look in the 'case studies' in the site map. Seem quite a forward looking proactive practice....?? Jane and Buns xx http://www.fairfield-vets.co.uk/index.htm
Well actually funny you should mention this vets i work at a hydro pool for dogs a lot of my clients use these vets and highly reccomend them!
I'd give them a ring and 'interview them' re their Rabbit knowledge...!! Jane and Buns xx
Ideally i wanted one a bit nearer to home,ive just had a look on the route planner said it will take 36 mins to get there

Yeah but if it was taking you 40 minutes to get to a vet who isn't much cop with bunnies, that's ok if there's not a good one nearer isn't it?

Back