• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mrtcharity: Very serious, Ref to a Moan and many others...

Who would like to help?

• Rescue who wants to be involved with the running

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rescue who wants to be coverd by the charity

• General help/commitee

• good idea

• bad idea

• Total voters

Mr T

Warren Scout
Hi all,
I did ponder on doing a reply to Honeybunny's post, but this is not totally related. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=14266

I am unsure as to the logistics of this, and I have suggested similar large projects before these could be brought into this once set up.

The concept is simple, the RSPCA (me spits) has 177 branches nationally, but they do not all have the same rules and regs, and all are run as individual businesses.
Much like we have a network of Rabbit/rodent rescues that use this forum as a central communication but all have our own ideals and set-ups.

The RSPCA is a charity, and being a charity allows all of these centers a number of benefits such as being able to claim VAT back, having TAX benefits for both donations and running costs and so on and some hefty gouvernment cash injections.
But if like us you have investigated the in's and outs of becoming a charity you start to notice the massive undertaking for such a small business to acquire this status, and then you give up....

As a group however becoming a registered charity would be much easier, with registration and minimum requirements we can create our own national charity covering those of us who wish to be involved.
We all would have to make some changes such as keeping accurate accounts, and having committee meetings which we would have to attend.
But still able to manage our own little bit.

I have no idea at this point on how to start the ball rolling, but if we have around 5 - 10 rescue centers who would like to become part of a registered charity then may be we should arrange a meeting, talk about what we want to achieve, and then start moving it forward.

Initial cost = time... Not money
If we can generate a charity status for us, then we can move forward and start pushing hard for donations and alike.

The end result is we would have accurate records of the problems caused by the sales of bunnies from pet shops, we would have a very strong arm to lean on the government we can have others join and manage some of the poorer centers and bring them into line with our minimum standards and once done we can start to improve on the minimum.
We would have a fincial backing from a central point so in quiet times we can sleep easy and in flush times give back to the pot.

Ideally we could end up as big as or bigger than the RSPCA.

Much to discuss

Many possible positive improvements could be made by those who join arms and push in the right direction.

For those who run rescues and are not aware, your rescue is essentially a business, as it is a business that you own, you are 100% responsible for it.
That is for any debts, costs or issues that may cross you, this includes third party injuries while on your premises or if you’re at a show/fund raiser. So please make sure you have insurance to cover your self for this as you could loose all you have.

As a charity under one umbrella, I think this could be covered on one policy, just another possible benefit.

I am sure we will need some one to check out the logistics and legalities of all this.

I had wondered about how the RSPCA was formed and how it is run as we are looking at a similar solution.

"Since its humble beginning in 1824 - as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - the RSPCA has worked tirelessly to promote kindness and prevent cruelty to animals.

Preparing the way
In 1822, Richard Martin MP piloted the first anti-cruelty bill giving cattle, horses and sheep a degree of protection through parliament.

World first
'Humanity ****' as he was known, was one of the 22 founders of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals which was launched in London in 1824. The SPCA became the first national animal protection society in the world.

No compassion
At that time, compassion for animals was regarded as bizarre. Animals were regarded as little more than commodities supplying food, transport or sport.

Changing attitudes
In its early years the Society's major campaign was to win over the hearts and minds of the general public, and to change people's indifference to animal cruelty.

Cruelty exposed
The 181 convictions for cruelty that the Society achieved during 1832 - the first year such figures were recorded in its annual report - made a telling impact on public opinion about the treatment of animals.

Royal approval
By 1840 the Society's work was held in such high regard that Queen Victoria gave her permission for the SPCA to be called the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Law enforcement
Its practical welfare work developed quickly. The single inspector appointed in London to check on markets and slaughterhouses, was joined by others. Together they formed a law enforcement body that pre-dated the police force.

National network
News of the work of the Society spread outside London. By 1842, campaigners in Bath, Brighton, Bristol, Coventry and Scarborough had all requested the appointment of an inspector of their own.

Sufficient funds
With the increasing number of donations and bequests the Society was attracting, there were funds to expand beyond the capital.

Branches established
Regional inspectors were appointed, with local campaigners promising to raise £20 a year towards 'their' inspector's wages. This development created the nucleus of a national network of 177 branches in England and Wales that exists today."

So who is interested, and who would like to meet to discuss?

I am happy to chair the 1st meeting, and there after we can arrange and manage how we move forward, I am not by any means asking or pushing to be chairman/person, this will be something we can discuss at the 1st meeting, or when ever it is deemed necessary.

Ideas concerns ect, all welcome as always.

Shaun count me in :D I'm quite new to this and at present a small concern but would like to be included.
Brilliant idea!

Oh what a wonderful idea... lots of little private rabbit rescues coming under one umbrella. There seem to be so many advantages to me. If I were not moving house I would seriously be setting myself up for rehoming and I would love to be involved in a project like this. Just think what could be achieved!

I think it's an excellent idea. It would take alot of organising but I think we've already seen some of the benefits from working together.

Getting everyone in one place for committee meetings might be the difficult part, I know that for rescues finding a free day can be difficult and everyone is quite spread out.

Tam

Perhaps several regional umbrellas could be established? More people would need to do the initial groundwork then though. Hmm. :?:

Ok I understand the regional issues, I worked at a national company and arrange a national forum of meetings as you have suggested. But let’s not run before we can walk.

We need to establish what is required, who is willing to fill the positions and of course "IF" this is at all possible.
So lets worry about how to look at the national pic once we have a grounding?

this is such an excellent idea .. Tam, could this be made a sticky so it does not get lost amongst all the chat?

I used to do the Accounts for a couple of small charities at my first Accountancy job. I can freshen up on my Charity accounting laws if you need an Accountant? :D

Hiya we would be very intested in joining an excellent scheme like this, would it cover sanctuaries too :?: :)

Best wishes

Thanks all for your support so far, yes please Angie65 do brush up, just a little.
As I have already said , we need to know if this is possible before we get too excited.

The idea of the 1st meeting will be for direction and plauseablity.

Adele, I have no idea what it will cover, that will be up to all who are involved, including your self if you wish. This is an idea, where it ends is not my choice, it is how ever relivant to all who wish to give it direction.

A thousand and one possiblities.

Would be interested in this for the future as we are thinking about starting some sort of Rabbit sanctuary in the next few years.

All depends if we can get hold of the right property.

Louise

Shaun could we put forward a possible date for the first meeting? Would have to set a agenda so the hours aren't spent just having a chat! If a date could be set might move us all into action :shock:

I think it would be best to look at date and venue say around the 3rd/4th January 2006.
The reason for waiting is quite simple, many people including some rescues have holidays ECT at this time, so I think we can perhaps look at ideas and agenda over the coming week, and then set the date & Venue with a list of those who want to attend along with the agenda.
I would be grateful if some one can minuet the meeting, & I am more than happy to have the minuets public maybe on here?

If this looks possible, may be Tam & Adele could open our own section, of course I would & do consider Rabbits United as the home for this venture if all concerned are happy?

We will need to notify the RWF along with the RSPCA and possibly include BRC so they are all aware of our intentions and direction.

Would you want to notify them before or after our first meeting? And have you told Tracy she has to provide mince pies and coffee for about 30 people? :lol:

hey I didnt say we would have it here!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think maybe inform them after the 1st meeting and supply them with the minuets, non of this is cloak and dagger stuff, I would like to keep it very public as we want as much support as possible.

I am going to change this to a poll as well so we can have a count up easily.

Remember this is not just open to rescues to be involved, you may feel you want to help but cannot run a rescue, but you may be able to give the time and effort to this which will in turn help hundreds of rescues and small furry's

An absolutely MAGNIFICENT idea!! It is so heartening to know that there are people on this Forum with the 'know-how' to make things happen!!! I wish I were more 'able' re the Rescue/Rehome situation(which would mean I'd help so many more buns-in-need) but can only manage my Rabbit Sanctuary. I will follow this thread with interest and a HUMUNGOUS amount of admiration. :D :D Jane and Buns xx

sarsimp said:
What an amazing idea :D I have nothing to do with a sanctuary or rescue but do support the idea 100%.

Me too!!

buns.jpg

Back