• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby chasing Millie

This past week I've noticed Millie hasn't been coming up for food. When I first got them Ruby used to chase Millie away from the food but this stopped when they were spayed. I think it's the same thing that's happening here but I don't know what has brought it on. Then today Ruby starting chasing Millie around the run. I told her "No!" and she stopped but I'm worried about Millie now. Ruby didn't attack her or anything although she did nip her bum to make her run before she chased her. I don't know what to do. Ruby has always been the dominant bun but I don't know why she's being like this. Poor Millie looks so sad but I don't want to seperate them as they have been together since they have were born and they are always snuggling up together and grooming each other. What do you think I should do?

Oh dear! How long have they been spayed? Is there a lot for them to do in the run? Giving them some new things to play with and hide in might distract them from bullying. Are there any signs that anything else could be wrong? If it's come on suddenly, it could be that she is in pain and that has made her grumpy, or maybe she's grouchy because she doesn't like the cold? Just a few thoughts.

oh, that's so sad, and I'm going through the same thing with my buns. It took a while for Gypsy and Storm to bond. Gypsy was a bossy little madam and used to chase him and try to nip him. After a while the nipping and chasing stopped and I'd find them cuddled up together, Gypsy still being the boss, but no nastiness.
But now Storm's hormones have kicked in :( he's only 4 months old and he has changed. He keeps spraying Gypsy :shock: and she's no longer as confident around him any more. Gypsy even runs away from Storm when he comes bounding towards her, it's so sad :( after all the trouble I had with bonding them! I've never seen any fighting or biting, but Gypsy is just so miserable, not the fiesty girl I'm used to.
I'm hoping neutering Storm will help them to settle down again
I know how upsetting this is, I hope you find a way to help your bunnies get along.

my 4 girls in the shed are always doing this kind of thing - there are always one or 2 tufts of someone's fur on the floor in the morning, so I know some bum-nipping has been going on!

However, the rest of the time they are very snuggly, so I am happy to leave them as a group unless the nipping escalates into nasty fighting - a bit of nipping and chasing is normal dominance behaviour with rabbits and nothing to worry about unless the other rabbit refuses to submit - If she fights back instead of running away, that's when it gets nasty.

The main way mine defuse their chasing sessions is by jumping into a litter tray or onto a chair or box - If you give them plenty of different levels and areas, they will sort it out without getting nasty.

I always split my girl's food onto 2 plates as well, then they all get their share - the veg I just put on the floor in a pile but I make sure they've each got a big chunk, as sometimes they squabble over the same bit when there's another bit uneaten 2" away! I also do the veg one type at a time, incase one bunny likes brocolli better than carrot for example, she would then eat everyone's brocolli and make herself ill, so I take each 'course' in seperately.

They also have 3 litter trays between 4 - you need at least 2 for 2 bunnies.

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are four years old and were spayed at about 6 months so I'm not sure why the chasing has come back now. I give them pipes, paper bags and boxes in their runs to play with. Today Millie was shredding some newspaper when she hit the box with her foot. Ruby flinched although it didn't hit her but when Millie came out of the box that's when Ruby chased her so I wonder if she was just telling her off. :? It can't just be that though as she won't let Millie eat. I'm feeding Millie upstairs while Ruby gets fed downstairs to make sure she gets food but Ruby has caught on my trick and eats both so I have to keep moving it to where Millie is in the hutch so she can eat some. Millie doesn't chase her back so hopefully they won't fight. I don't think Ruby would hurt her I think she just wants to chase her but I'm worried for Millie as she needs her pellets to keep her warm. Ruby is acting fine eccept for the bullying and I can't see anything wrong with her physically but she is going to the vets some time this week so I'll get them to check that. Just a theory but Millie has been more friendly than usual this week so she is getting more attention. This isn't on purpose but she runs up to me and hangs around me more than Ruby does and I can't ignore her. Do you think Ruby might be jealous?

It's possible, but it's probably a bit chicken and egg. I'd be more inclined to think that she is coming up to you for more attention *because* she's getting a bit bullied and not that she's being bullied because she's coming to you, if you see what I mean.

When you say "in their runs" do you mean they have an area each, or are they always together so everywhere is their joint territory? Only it could be that if they each have an area they consider to be "theirs", it could be affecting their bond as Ruby in particular as the dominant bunny won't want Millie in her territory. Separating females even for short periods of time can affect their bond.

I would keep a careful eye on them though, as even if they aren't fighting, you will need to ensure that Millie is a happy bunny and is not getting depressed by what is going on.

Sorry, I meant run not runs. They share a run thats about 5ft by 8ft so they are never apart. I hadn't thought about her coming up to me for more attention because of Ruby being mean to her. Poor Millie. :( I'll keep an extra eye on her but I really hope I don't have to seperate them. Millie isn't acting her usual happy self lately tho so if it gets any worse I might have to. :cry:

Perhaps Millie isn't well so Ruby is taking the opportunity to push her around a bit? Does she seem to be eating ok, could she perhaps have some spurs developing which is making her eat slowly and so Ruby is taking the opportunity to swipe the food?! I really hope it turns out to be just a phase for whatever reason. If you're taking one to the vets this week I'd be inclined to book in them both in to get a good check over.

I think I may be starting to sound like a broken record but have you tried a treatball or two :oops: It spreads out the feeding and gives them something to chase that isn't each other. Another thing would be to scatter the pellets across the runnrather than putting two piles. One bun always has to check what the other has so if they are spread allover the place there is no pile to guard.

It would be an idea to get Millie checked out by a vet just incase there is a reason behind the change. If Millie is feeling unwell Ruby could be getting annoyed because he playmate won't play with her.

Tam

Millie seems to be eating normally, she eats the greens with Ruby but then will hop away when I give them their pellets. She will eat them away from Ruby though. They are both going to the vets either tomorrow or Friday. It might be friday though as all this snow has made driving hard, we couldn't even get the car out today. I will tell the vet about what's been going on and ask him/her to check Millie over especially just in case. They have a treat ball which Millie uses so that also helps with feeding her. I will try spreading their food across their run aswell though. Ruby is upstairs in their hutch at the moment and Millie is downstairs, they seem to be ignoring each other :( , oh well at least they aren't fighting.
Thanks for the advise guys. :D

Back