• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnys started grunting (or am i going totally mad)

runnybabbit

Alpha Buck
Hiya everyone and hop you all had a lovely christmas.

I'm not sure this is a bunny car issue or wether its a human mental health issue but over the last couple of weeks my bunny seems to be trying to communicate with me, I know it sounds crazy, my friends think i'm going totally mad.

It all started when I would go to give her her 'goodnight' cuddle, I would stroke her and give her a hug and she'd be tooth purring which would seem to intensify when I spoke to her, I thought, your imagine that. Then it progressed from there to what sounded like little grunts when I spoke to her.

Now when shes out playing she'll make these little grunting noises when she runs at me and we're playing chasing games or when shes had enought running round and she lies full length against me, she'll nudge me with her head and grunt at the same time.

I was concerned that the grunting was that she was in pain but I've checked her over, pressed tummy, felt legs, looked at her teeth, checked her joints and everything seems to be fine and she dosen't grunt when I touch anything.

I also realise that as my bun is about 8-9 months old now, she has reached adult age and I am guessing that certain things she was unable to do as a baby she will now be able to do as she is a big girl.

I know, you must all be laughing at this, please tell me I not going totally crazy

Karen xx

LOL! Awww, from what I have seen and heard from other people before, I have heard that buns do this... and then I seen it for myself when we visited a rescue! there were 2 bunnies there chatting away to each other :shock:

I would say as long as your bun isn't grinding its teeth loudly in pain or any other things associated with pain, then your buns is just chatting away!!

Is your bun neutered? If not.... this could be another reason!!!!! :wink: :lol:

Miles grunts when I try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do (or rather, to stop him doing something he shouldn't be doing!). For example, he managed to get his head into the bag of hamster mix the other week, and he loved the stuff! So when I tried to gently push him away, he grunted at me! Then I tried clearing up the spilled mix so he couldn't eat it, and every time I swept some up, he grunted again! It sounds like different bunnies use grunting for different reasons, yours appears to do it when excited.

AMETHYST

Pip grunts all the time at me - when I get the bowl out to refil, when I take the toys out to wash, when I take the veg pot out to fill etc etc - he always has and he will come charginf over and nudge me but he never bites - only once when he thought my finger was a carrot - easy mistake to make :lol:
He's neutered so I guess its just him - he make me laugh so much especially when I am a bit grumpy in the morning :D

My little guy Storm makes soft grunting noises as he runs around, it usually means he wants to mate or spray me with wee! :shock: but it can also be a happy little noise :D Gypsy, my girl makes more of an angry grunt when my Chinchilla gets in her way, she kind of shoots her head forward with her ears back and makes a single loud grunt :D bunnies can be vocal some times! you're not mad at all! :lol:

Taz grunts and runs about when he has a slight problem with his fifth leg :wink: :wink:

It seems to be worse since I have had my fluffy pink dressing gown for chirstmas, I think he fancies me now!!!

I have had unneutered males do this... never heard a female though! :)

I have one female grunt when you pick her up, but that's because she doesn't approve, not because she enjoys it... :lol:

My two are quite vocal with each other. They'll race headlong into each other and grunt when they meet in the middle. They chase each other around grunting too. They're best of friends the rest of the time so I think they're just playing games :)

Tam

Thank god i'm not going mad.

Up to candy starting to grunt I didn't know the could even make noise.

She's been out all day playing (and is now flat out in her cage) and has grunted her way through chase, peek aboo, and all the other games we play then grunted and nudged when it was cuddle time and I wasn't tickling just the right spot for her.

You've all made me feel much better/ She must just have learnt how to do it and is playing it to the full.

Barmy Bunny but I love her.

Karen xx

Back