• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent - What to do with Maa?

elve

Banned
So - as you know, Maa had an abscess in her eye socket cleaned out under GA on Wednesday - The vet just put 2 stitches in so she could have a look Thursday and see how much pus had formed in 24hrs - Only the lady vet wasn't on duty when I took Maa Thurs! - And the receptionist said Maa would need another GA if they were taking out stitches and putting them back in again - The guy on duty seems OK, but his English isn't great and I just can't seem to make any of them understand that rabbit abscesses are different - He was running very late and a breeder took a load of kittens with diahorrea in before me - they don't usually wash the table down so that worried me - And my lift couldn't wait any longer so I had to go without seeing the vet.

So now I have a message on my answermachine telling me Maa MUST see a vet today, and the only vet on is the old bloke who refused to give Maa painkillers or antibiotics Tuesday, or put antibiotic beads in the wound when he took out her eye. I promised my animals Tuesday night I'd never take any of them to see him!

I've been awake half the night not knowing what to do for the best - Maa's wound will have started healing now - and I wouldn't have a clue how to flush an abscess out anyway, since the vets were being so unco-operative about showing me - I have some baytril for her and that's all - In any case the abscess drains to her mouth, so I can't clean it even if I knew how, excpet with salt water...
Plus if she has an open wound on her face how will she wash her face? She'll get muck in it and catch her paws in the skin...Oh HEEEEEELLLLPPP!!! I just dunno what to do :(

I will phone Celia, at the rescue Maa came from, this morning anyway - Is it possible that baytril might sort this out alone? I doubt it but Maa looks fine at the mo - I guess if the baytril doesn't work, I will have another bill for £130 in 2 months when the pus builds up again....I can't see this vets listening to my request for long term antibiotics :(

Merry Christmas :(

I doubt baytril alone will sort it out, it really would need flushing. The only thing I can suggest is that you take her along to your vet and just mention that you had spoken to someone else who had a rabbit with the same problem and that they used a longer course of antibiotics/pain relief etc and it worked. Hopefully he will take the hint :roll: . Personally I would use penecillin for something like this as I cant imagine baytril doing the job.

Cheryl

thanks Cheryl - I've told the vets so much about abscesses and that the forum I go on has people who've dealt with a lot of them successfully - they just won't listen :(

They told me most people would PTS a rabbit with this problem, so that's why they don't stock the antibiotic beads - I wouldn't be suprised if this is the first they've actually dealt with in that case, and I don't want them playing trial and error with dear old Maa, when I've requested penecillin injections and even just some baytril on Tues and been turned down - The vet nurse even said the pus would only be thick if it was left for ages - they have no clue what they are dealing with :(

Unfortunately neither do I :(

Im having a problem with alfie and his absess it just isnt getting better,his is in bone though,so they cant remove it
he has been on baytril about 5 times it doesnt touch it,they gave him antibiotic to put on the absess but it hasnt helped at all

Elve it sounds like you are having a nightmare and so unfortunate that you are not 100% confident in your vet.

I would call the vet and ask that he use painkillers before making the appointment - if he is an old vet he is probably very set in his ways! I am assuming that there are no other vets in your area you could take Maa too?!?

Poor you :cry:

Hi Elve,

It sounds like you're having a terrible time. Are there any other practices near you that you could take your bunny to that may be a bit more knowledgable about bunnies?

Love and hugs,

Nic xxx

bluebunny said:
Im having a problem with alfie and his absess it just isnt getting better,his is in bone though,so they cant remove it
he has been on baytril about 5 times it doesnt touch it,they gave him antibiotic to put on the absess but it hasnt helped at all
Oh dear poor bun. Sadly once infection penetrates the bone it is unlikely the condition can be 'cured'. The general treatment would aim to 'control' the condition. So that would mean long-term antibiotic therapy,pain relief if required, flushing of the abscess cavity 2-3 times a day and ensuring your bun has optimum nutrition. Elve, so sorry you are having problems with the Vets you take Maa to. If they really do refuse to try the treatment protocol you have requested I would explain that you want a second opinion from another Veterinary Practice. You can either get your Vet to refer you (which they'll no doubt charge you for :roll: :roll: ) or you could take yourself and Maa off to another practice, explain why you have lost trust in your current Vets. Hopefully the new vet will fax a request to your current vets requesting Maas clinical records. Your current Vet is obliged to give this information. I believe the only thing they can refuse to hand over is X-ray plates :? :? GAWD!! you really dont need all this extra hassle as it must be bad enough worrying about Maa. Please keep us posted re what you decide to do. Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
Oh dear poor bun. Sadly once infection penetrates the bone it is unlikely the condition can be 'cured'. The general treatment would aim to 'control' the condition. So that would mean long-term antibiotic therapy,pain relief if required, flushing of the abscess cavity 2-3 times a day and ensuring your bun has optimum nutrition.
How do i flush the absess?
at the min i just get the puss out before i put his drops on,do you think he is in pain? he will eat his ss food and veg but i cant get him to eat hay

bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
Oh dear poor bun. Sadly once infection penetrates the bone it is unlikely the condition can be 'cured'. The general treatment would aim to 'control' the condition. So that would mean long-term antibiotic therapy,pain relief if required, flushing of the abscess cavity 2-3 times a day and ensuring your bun has optimum nutrition.
at the min i just get the puss out before i put his drops on,do you think he is in pain? he will eat his ss food and veg but i cant get him to eat hay
The abscess probably origionates from a tooth root. Has he had a dental check? To flush the abscess cavity you would need a sterile syringe (no needle attached) and some hydrogen peroxide solution(as long as adscess is NOT draining into buns mouth) or you could start off using sterile saline solution. You squirt the fluid into the abscess cavity several times over til all the pus is cleared and the walls of the cavity look as clean as possible. You would need to do this 2-3 times a day depending on how much pus accumulates. If your bun is eating his dried pellets then he probably isnt in acute pain. Although osteomyelitis of the manible (infection in jaw) is known to be a painful condition. Perhaps you could go and have another chat with your Vet about the best way for you to manage the chronic problem. Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
bluebunny said:
JCO said:
bluebunny said:
The abscess probably origionates from a tooth root. Has he had a dental check? To flush the abscess cavity you would need a sterile syringe (no needle attached) and some hydrogen peroxide solution(as long as adscess is NOT draining into buns mouth) or you could start off using sterile saline solution. You squirt the fluid into the abscess cavity several times over til all the pus is cleared and the walls of the cavity look as clean as possible. You would need to do this 2-3 times a day depending on how much pus accumulates. If your bun is eating his dried pellets then he probably isnt in acute pain. Although osteomyelitis of the manible (infection in jaw) is known to be a painful condition. Perhaps you could go and have another chat with your Vet about the best way for you to manage the chronic problem. Jane and Bunsxx

Yes he had a dental about 3-4 weeks ago,the vet said his top teeth were not growing straight they didnt cut his mouth and the vet said he had seen much worse,the absess is actually under his chin its a hard lump with a small hole in the middle,there is hardly any puss comes out,just like a spot when you burst it (sorry :oops: ) ive only had him a month but as i far as i know this absess has been here for a long time.
He is going back to the vets as the antiobiotic genticin hasnt done anything :(

yes same question from me - and sorry to hear about Alfie, Marie :(

I technically know I should 'flush the abscess', and clean out the pus, but the actual hands on stuff is what I can't do - don't have a clue and am scared of hurting Maa - plus at this rate the wound will be healed up and un-openable without anaesthetic.

I have just rung several vets in my area, plus a really good one in Barnsley (so I heard) NOT ONE of them stock antibiotic beads, and the standard treatment for rabbit abscess is baytril - Not much point in changing vet if they are all the same :?

So assuming I have to make up saline solution, what ratio salt to water would that be? Or can you buy it from chemists?

Can I open Maa's eye socket up or will the skin have knitted since Wednesday? It's a very big wound - about 2" - and I don't feel capable of doing it right :?

What about loose skin around it - won't she stick her paw in it when she washes her face?

I think I might just give her the baytril for 3wks assuming she's not in pain, which she doesn't seem to be, and when it's full of pus again in a couple of months, have another op to clean it only keep it open and demand penecillin injection for her - Is that a good idea?

Sorry elve didnt mean to but in on your thread :oops:
Can you see the puss comming out of the socket? its there a hole or anything where its comming out?
alfies is under his chin so i just lay him on his back while i do it,but im thinking your going to need someone to hold her while you do it

don't worry Marie - an abscess is an abscess - is a total pain in the butt to treat :?

Maa's wound looks fine at the moment, but you know...Christmas...bound to be a dire emergency isn't there?

With no-one to hold her I guess I'm a bit limited in my options too. Main thing is she's comfy for now, but I know trouble's brewing in there :?

Marie - ask your vet if you can try penecillin injections, it is great for clearing up abscesses in the bone. Billy has had 3 jaw abscesses (in the bone) and penecillin is what finally cleared it up quickly, the other meds took a lot longer. He hasnt had one for several months now :D Adele recently used penecillin for a deep abscess in one of her buns and had great success with it :D

Cheryl

I asked the vet about duphapen and he said it had been discontinued - Is engemycin the preferred substitute Cheryl?

elve said:
I asked the vet about duphapen and he said it had been discontinued - Is engemycin the preferred substitute Cheryl?

I think your vet is telling you little porkies :roll: I have no problem getting it and it is still listed on the compendium of animal medicines and the list was only updated yesterday

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Duphapen/-32562.html

There are other types of penicillin you can use. I use the duphapen because my vet recommended it as its suitable for animals sensitive to penicillin. If you really cant get hold of any penicillin then Engemycin is the next best thing.

Cheryl

thanks for that info Cheryl - naughty vet :x
wonder why he said that? :shock:

That's what I'll ask for next Weds then - hopefully baytril will keep it down till then.

THANKS LOUISE for the offer of help :D
*breathes a sigh of relief that Louise is too far away for a pignapping expedition* :lol:

Back