• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

black crawlies in rabbits fur

pixie

Warren Scout
Hi,
on my other posting i posted regarding my bunny anyway he has fur mites - these can only be seen under a microscope.He is having treatment for them via injection.
When i was combing him i noticed little black flecks on his fur on closer inspection they are moving!!!
They are not fleas so any ideas as to what they are ?????
Also where is he picking all this up from, i do have a fox that wanders the garden also squirrels that vist but i am totally mortified , i have never had a bunny that has suffered from any of this before!
He is at the vets tomorrow for his second injection for fur mites tomorrow , but the vet did say these mites could only be seen under a microscope.
I know they are not fleas .Any ideas ,

Cheylietela mites (walking dandruff), can be seen as little flecks of dust on the coat, they are often a grey colour. But although you can see them and can sometimes see them moving you can't actually see what they are as such. You would only identify them if looking under a microscope.

I've just looked in a book and if they are Cheylietela mites they can also affect humans too - it says in the book that they can cause a mild itchy rash that disappears when the rabbit is treated.

So if you notice any rashes on yourself it might be a good indicator of Cheylietela mites... :?

Cheylietela mites

Yes ive been to the vets these little flecks are Cheylietela mites.They are the size of a pin head.He gave my bunny a second injection , i go back for another in 10 days.Apparently it is soooo common in bunnies.My bun is white hence why i noticed i suppose, i give him a brush with a nit comb regular.
Anyway it apparently can cause a rash in humans but it is so rare.I handle my bunny all the time and havnt stopped because he has these mites and i dont have a rash.The vet said he see's many cases of it .I have never come across it in any of my bunnies before.Apparently there is alwas a frew of these mites on every bunny however my bun has become over run.He is a larger breed maybe something to do with it??

Back