• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Collars on bunnies?

Collars on bunnies?

• Great idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collars are okay but not with a bell.

• Bad idea. You're rubbish and should be spanked for considering it.

• Undecided fence sitter.

• Total voters
Marlon is always getting under my feet and I was wondering about trying a collar with a bell on him so I'd no where he was.
What are you're opinions?

I like the idea but I don't know if it's good for a bunny to wear a coller?? If it was ok i might consider this as i think Skip has brain damage due to the number of times he has been kicked in the head (by accident of course!!) :lol:

I'd be terrified of my 2 getting their collars caught on something while they run around my room. I think they would hate having collars on, especially Gypsy, she would try to eat it! :lol:

I'd definitely watch your bun for an hour or two with a collar on to make sure s/he isn't trying to get it off or eat it. There's a person on another forum I frequent who was terrified of stepping on her bun as he'd dash out from beneath the table when she came by, and blended right into the carpet! So, she tried a collar with a bell, and now the little thing jingles wherever it goes! As long as you're careful about it (and not attaching a leash), I think it's a great idea to keep your bun safe!!

I think it is a dangerous idea. There was a topic on another forum like this, and I answered that one with this message:

"I wouldn't leave a collar on a rabbit (Heck I don't even leave one on my dogs when they're not outside - and they're never outside unsupervised) I have just seen too many tragic accidents where a cat or dog has jumped somewhere, caught it's collar on something, and hung itself. Happened to my dog, but we acted quick and gave her mouth to mouth, started her breathing again and saved her life - but I will never take that chance again....We are very lucky that we noticed so quickly."

It is just too risky, even if they are supervised, if you can look away long enough for the bunny to get under your feet and step on it, you can also look away long enough for disaster.
Keiser, my nethie, is always getting under my feet, but it's turned into second nature to be careful and watch where i step - I am just too paranoid about collars on unsupervised animals now to risk it. Nearly lost one pet to it....The luck we had in seeing her so soon and starting her breathing again is not likely to happen again.

Camellia said:
I think it is a dangerous idea. There was a topic on another forum like this, and I answered that one with this message:

"I wouldn't leave a collar on a rabbit (Heck I don't even leave one on my dogs when they're not outside - and they're never outside unsupervised) I have just seen too many tragic accidents where a cat or dog has jumped somewhere, caught it's collar on something, and hung itself. Happened to my dog, but we acted quick and gave her mouth to mouth, started her breathing again and saved her life - but I will never take that chance again....We are very lucky that we noticed so quickly."

It is just too risky, even if they are supervised, if you can look away long enough for the bunny to get under your feet and step on it, you can also look away long enough for disaster.
Keiser, my nethie, is always getting under my feet, but it's turned into second nature to be careful and watch where i step - I am just too paranoid about collars on unsupervised animals now to risk it. Nearly lost one pet to it....The luck we had in seeing her so soon and starting her breathing again is not likely to happen again.
:shock: :shock: I've just jumped off the fence and NO I dont like the idea of collars on Rabbits. Jane and Buns xx

In all the years my family and I have owned pets, none have ever caught their collars on anything. That isn't to say it doesn't happen, and the risk might be higher for buns. But our dogs (over the course of my life, 23 in total, all with collars) would jump all over our furniture w/o incident. I suppose you just have to weigh the risks: Is there a high chance you'll step on and likely injure your rabbit? If so, I'd still say go with the collar.

Also, if a collar isn't tight enough, there is a greater chance of it getting caught on things. It needs to be loose enough to get 1-2 fingers beneath (depending on the size of the animal), but tight enough not to get caught on anything.

If you did you should use a cat safety colar - these have a stretchy piece of elastic so if the collar is caught it stretches and the animals head slips out. Most dog colars don't have these because they're designed for attaching to leads and the dog would be able to pull and then slip it's head out.

Tam

Well yeah in the end you've got to decide if it is really worth the risk

If you did you should use a cat safety colar - these have a stretchy piece of elastic so if the collar is caught it stretches and the animals head slips out. Most dog colars don't have these because they're designed for attaching to leads and the dog would be able to pull and then slip it's head out.

Never thought of that! Those may work well - I think I am going to look into kitty safety collars myself.

Camellia said:

Ooh, hello there, PWS is where I got my pondering from!
I was the one posting under the name Joodee_Bee.
I thought I'd throw it to this forum as there are more people here and thus a better consensus can be drawn.
:D

I brought a collar for Molly just to take a few pictures with and that was a cat safety one, it really didn't seem to bother him, apart from he had a little nibble on the end before I cut it to size. On another forum I know someone who breeds rabbits and keeps collars on them. I think the bell is a good idea as I'm always almost kicking Molly when he darts infront of me. Or loosing him behind a chair or something.

As for the risks you'd have to weigh up if it's worth it. First make sure your bun likes it, get a safety collar and one that isn't harmful if eaten (if possible). As with everything there are risks. I have a friend who wont wear rings because he saw someone get their ring caught in a machine and it ripped the skin of their finger off. Does this mean it will happen to everyone who wears a ring? My cats and dogs have always worn collars without incident. :)

I was planning on getting one like Tamsin suggested with maybe a safety snap bit too, if I can find one.
Bella is generally too cautious to be in any danger but Marlon just appears out of no where, right under my feet.
The times it's happened so far I've managed to throw myself in a direction that saves him but I might not always manage that or do myself serious damage even if he's fine. :roll:

Well... Sophie has one... and she is fine with it BUT there are conditions to her wearing it which are..

- She never wears it unsupervised
- She never wears it in her cage, only when she is binkying around so I know where she is
- She seems to like having it on and it doesnt cause her any bother, if it did, it would be taken off

Why would you want to put a collar on a rabbit????
my dogs dont even where collars in the house,they only wear them for walks,why on earth you would want to put one on a rabbit? mine would be totally freaked out if you put one on them

I am a fence sitter and have not voted, for some rabbits whom need one to warn people they are about, who are always around peoples ankles, I think they are a good idea. However they need to be a safety collar. For the rest I say take it or leave it, depends on the animal.

None of mine have a collar, I did have one foster rabbit who had one when she came in whom I did leave it on as I knew where she was.

Janice

bluebunny said:
Why would you want to put a collar on a rabbit????
my dogs dont even where collars in the house,they only wear them for walks,why on earth you would want to put one on a rabbit? mine would be totally freaked out if you put one on them

Because if you have a bun which dashes at your feet, there is a higher risk of them getting stomped to death than of them being hurt by the collar worn to protect them from your unwary steps. Honestly, there's been a lot of discussion on WHY in this thread... :?

I don't think it is a very good idea, I know my bunnies would hate it and i'm sure alot of others would too, mine would also chew it and chew each others! If it was a safety collar they'd have it off in minues, and the other collars are too dangerous - so i voted bad idea - but i dont think you should be spanked for considering it :lol:

Back