• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet Billy, Starlight, Beauty and Bambi *Full story added*

Beebop

Warren Veteran
No, I haven't aquired 4 more rabbits, but its winter time again, and with no sign of their owners, I am left to feed Billy and Starlight for the 5th year. :roll: I fed them today and here are their piccies! :D

Billy, what a purdy skewbald he is!

Pic_0029.jpg

Lovely clean water they have. :roll:

Pic_0031.jpg

Starlight, sorry for the poor quality of the picture. :x

Pic_0033.jpg

Hungry and desperate

Pic_0032.jpg

These two in the next field are well fed!

Beauty

Pic_0034.jpg

And........Bambi! The cheekiest little mule around! :lol:

Pic_0036.jpg

Look at their fat tummies! :D

Pic_0037.jpg

And this picture turned out too dark, would have made a great photo seeing Bambi's cheeky little face.

Pic_0038.jpg

I love skewbalds! What's the story behind Billy and Starlight? (sorry, being nosy! :D )

Are Bambi and Beauty yours? They're all gorgeous!! :D

Aaaawwww - I have a weakness for scewbalds - and yes, Id like to be nosy too and know the full story! :wink:

The full story, how long have you got? :lol:

its actually quite sad, there used to be other horses in the same field, then they were taken out and the field was rented out by a man, who I will call Mr Brown, although that is not his real name. :wink:

Anyway, Starlight, the bay mare had a son who was sold about 4 years ago, apprantly he is in Scotland now!? :? So that left just Billy the gelding and Starlight. Throughout the years there have been other horses put in with them, nonen of which Billy has got on with. :roll: One was a 'trotter' horse who came in all skin and bones, I eventually got some weight on him when he was sold on! :twisted:

Last year there was a young colt, I am guessing under a year old who was a piebald. Billy bullied him something terrible and he was always with starlight who mothered him, except when I went to feed them. They were so keen they kicked and fought between each other, so my Dad fed billy, my mum fed starlight and I had to go through the mud to find porr little 'Domino'. He was so small and I don't know what ever happened him! :cry:

Oh and i should add, Bambi was going to be slaughtered for meat! :twisted: But my friend, who now owns him, saved his life and bought him off Mr Brown. She helps with feeding Billy and Starlight.

Most years, around this time actually, the horses are taken out and come back even skinnier than before!! And I mean so skinny their ribs can be counted 100 metres away! Their necks have no muscle so I can only assume they are locked up in some stall and forgotten about. Also Billy ALWAYS comes back in the Spring with a matted mane as the owners tried to plate it. so he has dredlocks, which you cannot see from that picture.

About 2 years ago, Starlight came back with a condition known as 'rain scald'- her back was bare, it was just skin. That is the ONLY time the USPCA bothered to do something and I have lost count the number of times I have phoned them.

The field is quite big and every summer it is covered by a sea of ragwort! they have no shelter and as you can see I need to scrub their troughs again! The water troughs get dirty so quicky, especially as Billy likes to stand in them! :roll:

So they are standing out in the field with no protection and I can not do anything about it. It is the most frustrating thing.

Mr Brown died last year, and the horses now belong to someone else, who manage to do just as an appauling job at looking after them.

i would love to buy them off him and give them some pampering they deserve!!! Starlight is getting no younger and that field has been overgrazed to the extent their is no nutrients left in that grass.

What beautiful horses and what a sad story. :(
Well done you for helping these lovely creatures atleast they know they`re loved by someone :D
Is there nothing that can be done about their owners neglecting them this way? :? :evil:

For as long as there is a blade of grass and a drop of water in that darn field, I am powerless. So all I can do is continue to buy in food for them, there is a horse feed suppliers about a 10 minute drive from me, so I buy in bulk.

They are such sweethearts, especially Starlight, I just wish their ending was as happy as Bambi's....I am relieved that beautiful mule did not end up in a dog's stomach !! :twisted:

I wish there was a redwings over here.

Northern Ireland is the worst for animal cruelty with the most dogs in the Uk having to be pts, and compare our size to England and scotland! :shock:

How wonderful that you are helping these horses - must be like hitting your head on a brick wall though :(

Have you tried getting in touch with Redwings over here - I know its along way but they have other centres . Also the donkey sanctuary in Sidmouth Devon - they may take Bambi the mule. Just some suggestions - or maybe go to your local press and get some donations so you can buy them? I would love to help if I was nearer :(

Unfortunately this is a story that I have heard before. Even if you were in England the RSPCA would be unlikely to be able to do anything as so long as the horses have food and water there is not very much they can do. What do you feed them? Looking at the state of their grazing they could do wiuth additional hay as weel as concentrates as they are unlikely to get the fibre they need from such poor grazing. You are doing a fantastic job. They are lucky to have you. The new law now states that Ragwort has to be removed from fields so if the same happens next year you may be able to do something on those grounds.

Noooo :shock: Bambi is well cared for and lives with beauty, he is no longer abused and is spoilt and well cared for by his new owner. :wink: Bambi and his owner are unseperable, as soon as he hears her voice he comes cantering over, bucking as he goes. :lol:

Yes, i have decided to phone Redwings, I am a big supporter of them and have sponsored their horse Finnegan for about 3 years now. :D

I always thought the 'P' in the USPCA was for preventing cruelity, but it would seem that they wait until the cruelity occurs.
I know they stepped in once and the horses were under supervision.....well that lasted long. :roll: :evil:

I will let you know what happens with Redwings, I need to ask advice anyway on what is best to feed them.

Even if I could afford to buy them, it would be the up-keep- it is £10 a month for Bambi, thats £20 a month for those two, and Billy would bully them all, especially Bambi. I would LOVE to take in Starlight, but if I did buy them, what is to stop their last 'owners' from bringing more horses into a miserable existance. :?

Back