• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay question

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone!
I've just been reading about the different qualities of Hay and that pet shop hay is bad :( pet shop hay is the only stuff I can get hold of at the moment as I've maxed out my credit card and can't buy stuff online :roll: :oops: is feeding this bad quality hay better than no hay at all? and is it really bad for buns? I did notice a LOT of dust ( which made me and my buns sneeze!)

depends which hay it is! I buy cheap hay from an independent pet shop, they sell bags and bales of fresh hay which is great stuff! I've also tryed Norfolk pastures hay which I buy if I'm stuck and cant get anything else. Redigrass is sold at alot of pet shops too which mine enjoy!

it varies so much - I've had really lovely hay from Wilkinsons, but the next batch they had in was so rank I threw it in the bin! It all depends on where the manufacturers get their hay from - Some farms will just sell a field load of it to a hay merchant, and maybe a supermarket or pet chain will buy it up, then the next load may be from a different farm and be rubbish - That's the best thing about farm shops as you will get more consistent quality as it's not from a merchant but from that farm.

I don't have a farm shop near me :( all I can get hold of is russel rabbit timothy hay or some old dusty stuff in a bag. I do feed dried grass as well as hay, if that helps. will this poor quality hay hurt my buns?

try starting a new topic quoting your area, you might find many more members who live close to you and they can tell you were they get their hay from :wink: :D

i get mine from a farm and ALfie loves it. I know this because when i ran out i got some from P@H (had no choice) and i hardly saw him eat it. When i got some farm stuff he dived straight in, chomping away!

Maybe try some other pet shops - I get timothy hay from a pet shop - It is attatched to the hospital that I bring my rabbits to, it is outstanding quality hay, green, not dusty, fresh, once in awhile there is bad hay there but it is most often really great stuff.
So, some pet stores do have good stuff :)

I get my from a petshop - it's a giant bag, lovely and green and smells yummmm :D

It's worth looking around and also keeping an out for local farms. If you have a rescue near you they may sell hay or let you order along with them. Some vets carry hay too!

As long as the hay isn't damp/mouldy then it won't do them any harm. It's just the nicer hay tends to encourage them to eat more :)

Tam

Back