• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective

Quinn

Mama Doe
How many people feed this to their rabbits? Ive seen some recommendations and i thought i would wean quinn onto it when hes staring to run out of his current museli food as hes doing the whole selective feeding thing

I've fed it to a bunny in the past. Kahlo was on Burgess Supa Excel when she came to us from the rescue 2 months ago, so we bought a bag of that for now. We will swap her over when the bag runs out, assuming that she likes it! My vet does 'sample bags' of Science Selective, so we'll get one of those to start with!

I used to have a abun who was a selective feeder and he refused other pellets but loved SS.
I still have a load of it left adn Harvey eats A&P herb and fibre mix. Although he LOVES SS pellets so I put these into his treat ball which I figure is healthier than putting yoggies in it! He will empty his treat ball in a few hours!

Hello,

I was goin to enquire about Science selective too. My bunny doesn't eat much hay and people on the forum have recommended I feed him bunny basics timonthy pellets. I wondered whether Science selective would be just as good as it says on the pack that it remedies selective feeding and has quite a high fibre content too.

Nic n Harvey xx

Any of the pelleted feed types are better than the museli. I have used most of them with the rabbits which come into our rescue. We tend to use Bunny Basics as that is what we get a good deal on from the manufacturers which is an excellent food.

I would certainly recomend moving your bunnies over to SS from a museli type food, do make sure you have a good amount of your old food about to use so that transferal over is not too sudden and that you don't stres out their digestive system. You need to transfer over in a minimum of 10 days, longer does no harm. Some rabbits tranfer over easier than others.

Janice

Mine have it and love it. If you are thinking of changing their diet, please make sure that you make the change quite gradually otherwise they could suffer with stomach problems. Add a few pellets in with their mix at first and gradually increase the pellets and decrease the mix.

I think the timothy pellets are slightly high fibre as are the AP pellets. SS is great stuff though, that's what I fed my two.

You really need to try and tempt him into hay to though and thats although pellets have lots of fibre (good for the cut) dry food doesn't wear down the teeth like hay does.

Tam

Quinn is ok he eats lots of hay and he eats his veggies but as hes a baby i give him some of his rabbit food in the morning and before bed but hes on a museli so i wanted to get him onto pellets - don't worry it will be done very gradually to let him get used to it without upsetting his tum - just didnt want to go through all that and then find out SS isnt that good after all

Yes my 4 are also on SS. Santa is quite a lazy eater so I don't give her and Dudley many and I mix them in with hay rather than put them in a bowl, in the hope that they will also eat more hay that way. Those I have swapped onto it have taken to it really well (it did take those who were on mixes a couple of weeks to stop being wary of it and "try" it) but once they discovered it, I couldn't swap them. I swapped Harry off of Burgess onto SS and he started picking out the SS and leaving the Burgess straight away so he obviously found it palatable.

Quinn said:
How many people feed this to their rabbits? Ive seen some recommendations and i thought i would wean quinn onto it when hes staring to run out of his current museli food as hes doing the whole selective feeding thing

If you want to try it and you cant get a sample from your vets, let me know and Ill post you a bag.

The makers of Science Selective sent me 2 sample bags when I emailed them. Just do a Google search for it. I have almost finished swapping Evo over now, although he still eats his Excel pellets first :roll: .

comment for Nicola3 - Science Selective is only 19% fibre, whereas Bunny Basics T is 25%. Just thought that I would add this in as you are trying to increase Harvey's fibre intake because of this teeth probs!

lol Bugs Bunny and friends

The high fibre content is another reason we use Oxbow Bunny Basics. We used to feed Super Excel but this has a lower fibre content too.

I feed ss as when I first got Molly he had some problems with a bloated belly so I swapped him over to that as the vet recommended it and he loves it.

my two have just been switched from burgess excel to SS and they're thriving on it :D no more sticky bums :D

Back