• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I do to help Dylly's tum?

lucycat

Warren Scout
Since the hutch spray incident and his tum packing up for a bit dylly hasnt been well and he now has snuffles and is on antibiotic jabs, next one friday.

He is eating but isnt pooping much and what does come out is about 1/4 of usual size. His tum is also so noisy can be heard on occasions from 1m away.

Vet has given me probiotics but are there any other tricks to try settle his tum a bit and boost his immune system against the snuffles?????

He has oxbow hay, greens broccoli and sweetcorn. He usually likes a good carrot but cant seem to be bothered with them at the moment. any ideas????

well I can hear Maa's tum gurgling very loudly sometimes and she's fine - it's when their tum is completely silent you have to worry, as nothing is happening in there!

With his food, sweetcorn isn't recommended as the hulls are a possible cause of blockages - depends how much he has and how often, and baby corn is softer. Sweetcorn is also too sweet and starchy, which will feed bad bacteria.

Doesn't he eat pellets? I would recommend science selective if you want to give him some, but just give him a couple for the first few days till he's used to them - more calories will help him fight off infections - I would guess that hutch spray has weakened his immune system as he would have had all on just surviving, poor lad.

Poor Dylan-lovely-ears :cry: Is he eating his hay as that is the most important think for his tum at the moment. Does his tum feel a bit bloated as sometimes the gurgling can be all the gas in a buns tum that is building up cos their GI function is compromised. I would give the vet a ring and explain the situation. He may want to give Dylan some pain relief IF he does have colicky type tummy pains. You could try giving him a dose of Infacol (used for colic in babies and available at most supermarkets) if you suspect the gurgling tum is due to wind. As he is on what sounds to be a long-acting penicillin type antibiotic it is important his guts keep working well and I am sure your vet will be more than happy to advise you as to whether he needs to be seen again before Friday. Hope Dylan is soon feeling much better. Jane and Buns xx

Poor little guy, hope he feels better soon. Hay and dried grass are the best things for him at the moment. Did the vet give him some stuff to put in his water or food, I think it's called protexin or something like that. it contains good bacteria to replace the ones that the anitibiotics have killed off, might be worth a try. science selective is also a good idea, I think it's high in fiber

Hi we have excel pellets which i have been putting his probiotic on and i have just got some special hay ones from the canadian ox bow hay website.

Will withdraw sweetcorn - he used to love it, I found out by accident. Vet said his tum was prob not quite right monday hence the probiotic. It doesnt feel different but the appetite, poos and level and amount of noise is different ie normally audible but now really obvious. I dont know whether he has colic type pains but he doesnt seem happy somehow ie he normally is mr scoffalot rather than mr picky.

Will think about the infacol advice. Is it safe on bunnys with gurgly tums and snuffly noses and how much? I have some metacam from silkys rat incident. I am so wary of giving him anything due to the reaction to the spray but want him to feel happier. Ill see how he is when I get home and maybe call the vet.

anyone any views on rabbit vitamins or echanacia (2 drops I read on one post)??

Infacol is fine for buns with gassy tums. You would need to give Dylan about 5ml as he is a BIG BOY!! However, I really would give your vet a call as the sooner you nip a GI prob in-the-bud the better. I would hold off the Metacam 'til you have spoken to your Vet. Hope Dylan will have eaten better today. Jane and Buns xx

Back