• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 buns, one slightly overweight, one underweight

houndour

Warren Scout
Twiggy and Eeyore went for their Myxi jabs and had a full check over.

Twiggy weighs 3.25kg which means she's put on 500g since the last time she was weighed (approx 3-4 months ago). Eeyore on the other hand is under weight...he lost a bit when he was bad with the snuffles and he hasn't put any back on.

I got a feeding ball (thanks tamsin) and its great, they absolutely love it, but I don't think its helping eeyore get his fair share of pellets.

For the last week I've tried feeding pellets before veg as I suspect eeyore fills up on veg and doesnt eat his pellets. But he's so small he just doesnt have an appetite as big as twiggy and he only manages about 1/2 a tablespoon before leaving the rest. And then twiggy finishes his off. So I don't think this is working too well.

The vet said I shouldnt cut down on what I give them at the moment. Its a matter of trying to get eeyore to have his fair share.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to seperate them at food time.

By the way, if you're reading this, whoever said to try a rug on the laminate flooring (cos twiggy was shy and wouldnt come into kitchen), well I've been using towels and it's worked. Twiggy has gained so much confidence in the last couple of weeks. Every day she becomes more affectionate and inquisitive. Eeyore on the other hand takes every opportunity to escape into the living room!

yay - that was me! :D

I give my rabbits their pellets in the morning, and their veg at tea time, and fresh bundle of hay after each 'meal' - when do you feed yours?

I think giving pellets and veg together is a bit of a big meal, and will mean that Twiggy has a big stomach which doesn't feel full till she's eaten a big meal - you could try splitting her pellets and veg into 2 smaller meals so her stomach shrinks a bit over time.

Meanwhile feed Eeyore pellets with Twiggy as normal, and also take him out for 15mins at the other end of the day and give him an extra handful of pellets?

I make Benny 'porridge' consisting of about 10 pellets and a big teaspoonful of porridge oats, soaked in a splash of boiling water for a few minutes - mashed up with a fork when the oats have swelled (this is so they don't swell in his stomach) - he loves it now he's on his own outside in the cold - it would be nice and fattening for Eeyore too :)

Thanks Elve!

Some good ideas there. Next time i'm in sainsburys i'll get some porridge oats. Is there anything i should be looking out for or are all porridge oats the same?

At the moment we feed them pellets and veg at the same time twice a day. Morning and evening.

OK, perhaps I'll try changing the routine to:

morning - pellets
straight after work - eeyore some 'porridge' and twiggy her pellets
before bed - veg

I'll feel mean not giving them any veg in the morning though. Maybe just a slice of carrot? :)

They also have hay and the grass stuff (excel forage?) - they love the grassy stuff. I think they must be doing OK on the hay side of things. Their poop is very good. No wet ones. And the vet was impressed with their teeth :)

When Nala was scoffing all the pellets and simba was missing out i started to feed them separately.. When i first got the treatball i gave nala hers in that and fed simba a bowl of pellets.. that way he could eat all his just as fast as she did. I usually give them their pellets in the evening sometime between 7pm and 9pm, depending if im working or not.. then i give them their veggies when i put them to bed around 11 or 12pm. The rest of the time they have hay/grass.. i found that way they ate plenty of it during the day

I feed mine seperatlely too coz Charlie gets all the pellets, they are both so greedy! I think Charlies is because he's not been looked after blah blah blah and food wasnt given often but Tilly has no excuse what so ever! :lol:

I have the same problem with 2 of mine. Fudge is a little overweight and treacle is very underweight. Thing is when i'm watching they seem to eat the same amount. Treacle is the first to dive into the food and fudge will have a few mouthfulls when he's finished! So I can't work thatone out :? Unless Fudge is eating all the leftover porridge while I'm not looking! :shock:

Back