• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walnuts: Safe or Unsafe?

greydaze

Warren Scout
Hi all, Skittles took a liking to a piece of walnut from my cookie, and since I gave her only a tiny bit, I know she's ok. But I need to know, does anyone have any information on the safeness of nuts? That would probably be a fun little treat for Skittles, if it's allowed.

I don't know if they're safe or not.
I don't think they'll make Skittles explode though. Not that I'll except any blame if she does. :wink:

I don't reccomend nuts or seeds because they don't know how to chew them. Most other small furries live off of these in their natural environment, buns on the other hand would choke quite easily on them.

I have Flemish Giants

I have Flemish Giants trust me they do great on sunflower seeds, My doe is pregnant and was in great shape when she was bred. However in the last week she is all babies and bones. I am looking for a good way to increase her caloric intake and was thinking English walnuts. Since it has been advised not to give them often as they will get fat... sounds like just what my girl needs with her pumpkin, horse oats, and some chicken scratch. *the scratch has a lot of seeds in them and I know she loves them.

As long as they are not toxic... I think I am safe giving her 4 to 5 half's with her mash.

Atheena

Its not really just to stop them getting fat, its mote to do with the fact that the digestive Tract of a rabbit was evolved to handle food of an extremely low nutrional value eg hay and grass, and the nutrition from this is gained from eating the ceacotrophs. so therefore the gut will not have evolved to be able to handle very much food high in fats and sugars, it could potentially cause an upset that could lead to stasis.

I don't think it matters though? It's not like the info is out of date....... :D:wave:

Oh, no, of course it doesn't. It just amazes me that people are able to find these very old threads. I guess they put in the keyword (like 'walnuts') and up they pop. ;)

I guess they put in the keyword (like 'walnuts') and up they pop. ;)

Yep, that's it - either searching the forum or google. :thumb: I sometimes only notice threads are old when I see usernames that I know haven't been on in a long while..... :oops::lol:

Back