• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poo problem!!!!!!

Twiggy

Warren Scout
Avice please??????? Our buns seem to preduce sticky poos every morning at about the same time, his are fine and are caecal poos just like Raspberrys, only problem here is he seems to get them more over him than in his mouth but that's down to him having no front teeth, bless.

It's our female i'm having probs with, her's aren't raspberry like but are more like stodge (tooth paste like) and tend to be very smelly, they are a greenie yellow/brown'ish colour.

Her diet is Evening: Bunch of Carrot Tops
Spring Green leaf
Brussel Sprouts
And between 10 or 15 pellets, some days none.
Hay

Her diet in Morning: Bunch of Carrot Tops (again)

We've stopped given her Carrots and Broccoli but this hasn't worked.
She is rather plump and i'm starting to get worried that it may be an internal problem which we can't see, i know to many Carrots can cause sticky poos due to the sugar this is why we don't feed them, i'm now wondering if the Carrot Top contain sugar like Carrots if so this maybe our problem.

Has anyone else had a bun with prob's like this and if so please let me know as our little Girls a bit worried her boy friend may dislike her smelly bot.

I would try cutting out pellets and greens, so she just has hay, and gradually reintroduce things back, to try and work out what is causing the problem.

Hiya!! :D Does she eat lots of hay?? If so you could try stopping ALL veg for a few days and just let her eat as much hay as she can. If this does not resolve the problem you may need to get a vet to check her over. Bacterial gut infections a rare in an adult bun but she may have a gut motility problem. If she is a bit....ermmm...portly...this may be contributing to he sloppy poo problem. Also buns with early stage dental probs often get sloppy poos. If she is well within herself then the hay/water only diet for a few days should sort her tum out. But if not then a trip to the vet might be a good idea so as she can have a thorough check up. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks for the advice, i think i'm going to have to be strong and go with what you say even know it'll be hard given one a big meal and not the other, it just worries me that she might not eat enough hay to keep her gut moving.

As long as she is a good hay eater she'll be fine!! Hay is what buns need for healthy happy tums!! :D :D Jane and Buns xx

"Toothpaste consistency" is a good way to describe it - one of my bunnies has the same problem. As the others advised I cut out all veg and reintroduce it when poo's are better. This is going to be an ongoing pattern with this particular bun!

Update

Just to let anyone know if intrested, have now stopped the morning feed of Veg (poor things) and this (touch wood) seems to have worked.

Bless them! A case of being cruel to be kind :) Glad it's cleared the problem up.

Back