• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bored Bunns????

michey996

New Kit
I have noticed that my female bun is chewing at various wooden bits in her hutch. She lives with a nutured male bun, they are both the same age, approx 4mths old. They are kept in the conservatory while it is cold and will go outside when it warms up i am hoping March time, and I will buy them a big outside run.

They have a very large hutch, probably 5ft long and 3ft wide, with a hay rack, various chewing sticks, their veggies go in a ball that they have to push along for them to come out, very deep shredded paper in their bedroom with a wooden tunnel to hide in if they want to, they have at least one toilet roll a day stuffed with hay. They come out to play for a couple of hours ever night and have the run on the lounge and conservatory and have the doggies and the cat to torment!

My theory is that she is bored! Am I right? If so how can I stop her being bored????? The last thing I want is unhappy bunnies!

The male bun, is so much calmer since having his bits chopped off! Will the same thing happen to her when she is spayed?

Concerned in Rochdale
x

Quinn does the same he has plenty of toys and plenty of things to do but i figure he just likes chewing as when he comes in he starts in the carpet / wallpaper/ his pen

Well, if she's chewing the wood she must be making her own amusement. :D Maybe she just likes that better?

My girlie bun likes to gnaw at her hutch too. I've put various toys in, which she might play with but really, she'd much prefer to chew the hutch! She's already spayed so I don't think that will stop it...I just put it down to the typical way life is - you buy a child a toy, they prefer the box; you buy rabbits toys, they prefer the hutch!!!! :roll:

Wow isn't that odd, I have a girlie bun who also spends hours chewing her hutch, I thought she was just"unique" :lol: but i spose she is normal, well sort of! :lol:

Why not give her other things to chew on so she'll chew them instead of her hutch? My bunnies are 'chewers' and they LOVE wicker balls. They eat about one a day :shock: :lol:

I give mine other things to chew...they get chewed when the buns are out but when they're in the hutch they get ignored! :roll: :lol:

Bindi bunny, chews her hutch too. Especcially, the bit under the water bottle. So at least she chews the bits we can easily replace if need be, in the future!!

Daisy chews her hutch too. I think she just enjoys it. She was trying to eat her food bowl yesterday!

Fidget chews Daisy's hutch when she's out of her own too :lol: I think she just likes to indulge in a bit of vandalism. :lol:

There was me thinking that I was a bad mum and that she was bored bless her!!!!!!

I have tried a couple of new tricks that appear at the moment to be working!! I got an old newspaper (we keep loads for the dogs for when we are out!!!) , I screwed up each page into a tight ball and put a mound in the corner of the hutch!!!

I am not too concerned about her vandalising the hutch!!! It just annoys the OH as he works from home and his office is the conservatory and all he can hear is the chewing!!

I had a rabbit boarding with me that chewed a leg of one of my bank of hutches and now David my o/h as replaced all of them with metal legs. The best is though he was one of my rescues who had come back for a holiday, his name is Rooney but we call him ****** Rooney

Alfie kennedy said:
My bun chews the leg of his hutch when he has the whole garden to run around in!!

My neutered buck Frank is the same... him and his girl (also neutered) have an 8' x 8' pen with a 6' x 2' hutch in. The hutch is on nice long legs so that they have lots of running space.. and they have toys and lots of apple branches to chew... but he is FASCINATED with one of the back legs of the hutch... I've put a stack of bricks under so that if he eats all the way through it won't fall over! :shock:

I spent about £50 on toys for my bunnies in P&H. They have either been eaten or abandonned. The cardboard boxes are what they are interested in.

Back