• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eyes

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hello guys,

Just looking for some advice..................My rabbit lilly has always suffered from runny eyes and has been to the vets loads before regarding this - sometimes its been little infections, other times blocked ducts etc etc. We've always managed to get her cleared up though! However this morning her eyes were really runny - out of the blue and there was a white discharge on her face.

Does anyone know what it may be??

Thanks

Hiya :D Obviously an infection insitu again. Has your vet investigated the possibility of a dental problem with your bun :? . Sometimes recurrent Dacryocystitis (runny eyes) is a result of the roots of molar teeth over-growing and pressing on the naso-lacrimal duct (sort of tear duct). Your bun needs treatment for the infection again and I would mention a dental check to your vet too :wink: :wink: Jane and Buns xx

Going through the same process with Maya at he moment. He has two tear duct flushes, and the gunk is less thick, making life easier for him and me because its so much easier to clean.

The vet had a little look at his teeth and suggests having him in for a dental in four or five weeks.

So all Jane has said is exactly what i would suggest.

I have read in the past that eye problems in buns can be linked to dental problems. Hope she feels better soon!

Hey guys!

Thanks loads for the advice!!

I dont think its her teeth as shes already had them trimmed once! My buns are on an exceptionally healthy diet i.e. unlimited grass hay and on a night science selective and veg of course so if it is her teeth I dont know why :?

Ive got her booked in to the vets tomorrow night and she advised to bathe it with warm water as apparrently the discharge can make the skin scabby on their faces.

Thankyou guys!

It can be genetic as regards to the teeth and so the diet probably would have anything to do with it except help a little.
Good luck and I have to agree with Jane as one of mine had to have adental yesterday and her symptom was a runny eye. I have also had it where a bun doesn't even go off their food but a contant runny eye, so I thought it was an eye infection until I took her to the Vets and she had a spur right at the back and it had cut into her tongue causing an ulcer.

I dont think its her teeth as shes already had them trimmed once! My buns are on an exceptionally healthy diet i.e. unlimited grass hay and on a night science selective and veg of course so if it is her teeth I dont know why
It can be genetic. I used to have a British Giant with an uneven jaw line... he had to have a couple of molar extracted and the rest filed down regularly - and yet, he was on the best possible diet! It was something he was born with though.

Vera

Back