• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help for a newbie - sneezing!

melaniejb

Mama Doe
Don't know whether I'm being totally paranoid but Poppy keeps sneezing. She does have an ever so slightly wet nose (and I mean more damp than wet) but I've checked her paws and there is no matted fur etc.

Do you think it's worth a trip to the vets or am I getting totally neurotic about a cold??!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Melanie

My friends rabbit was doing the same but the vet checked her over and shes fine, she only does it when shes on the sofa so we think shes allergic to something on there, probably dust

She may have a little dust up her nose. If you notice any discharge or a runny eye then take her to the vets, or if you are worried take her any way as at least it will put your mind at rest.

Take her to vets.

Mine have sneezed before sometimes I think its hay. But you dont want snuffles. Dyl has gone down with this today and reading all the posts on this I am worried sick about the prognosis.

Thanks for the advice! We're taking her to the vets this evening as I've noticed that she's sneezing quite a bit and she is wiping her nose on her paws but as she is probably THE best groomer in Bunny World, she then licks her paws clean so I wouldn't notice if she was particularly snotty!

Hopefully she'll be OK, her bunny boyfriend's fine so hopefully it's nothing too serious. Will keep my fingers crossed.

What does the vet do to diagnose?

Melanie

What does the vet do to diagnose?

My bun sneezes and gets discharge sometimes. the vet cannot diagnose unless you have a swab done!

The vet will no doubt give you a course of antibiotics which can keep it under control, did nothing to my bun who is otherwise very happy and healthy!

I hope she's OK :(

Lucycat wrote that she didn't want to think of the prognosis if her bun has snuffles but I know that your bun (Alfie Kennedy) had snuffles...why is the prognosis so bad? What is the prognosis?????????

Melanie

Snuffles in buns is sooo common and apparently most live a very full happy life!!!!

Alfie had a nasel swab done and it was some kind of bacteria that apparently isn't of any significance and wasn't pasturealla.

Alfie eats, jumps about, bunny hops and is very happy so after being on soo many antibiotics his happiness is what i am concerned about now.

Please dont panic, my friend's bun has been sneezing non-stop and she is going to the vets today.

My vet has also had a couple of buns in lately that have been sneezing etc!

Please do post.

I have read some nightmare postings about infections spreading and not responding to antibiotics and yet it appears many do and the vet wasnt concerned about my dylan but he has to have three shots of antibiotic.

I AM a worry monger about my rabbits ( the cat has been to the vet twice in 8 years other than annual jabs the rabbits are in their every month!); I am so fond of them and they seem to get ill or disaster seems to strike quite a lot (hutch sprays rat attacks fights when bonding pulled stitches). Bunny medicine has moved on loads when I had them as a child not much could be done, they didnt neuter and I found two bunnies prematurely dead in their hutches.

So ignore me :roll: we all get colds dont we and they usually dont result in pneumonia!!!!!!

I'm just as bad! Unfortunately I came over all protective mummy in the vets when they went for their VHD jabs (last week and their 1st visit) so I'm dreading going back to the vets because I was such an annoying customer - poor vet!

Fingers crossed for Dylan, I hope he gets better soon.

Melanie

She's got snuffles. :(

Just got back from the vets and he confirmed she's got it. Feel very down in the dumps...poor baby girl.

Looks like we're going to have to cancel our holiday too - OH not happy!

Melanie

The vet can't really confirm it's pasteurella, can he?

My bun had to have a swab to fully confirm if it was pasteurella or a different strain.

Don't worry though. As many people have said above lots of buns have snuffles.

Why will you need to cancel your holiday? Is your bunny due to go to a rabbit home for this period?

Main things to look out for: weepy eyes (keep them clean), snotty nose - I check my bunnys noses daily and wipe them with damp cotton wool when they have snot to prevent any build up which might block their nose. And breathing difficulties. If they have trouble breathing, or appear chesty (sorry cant give a better description - just what my vet said) then it can mean that the infection has got to the lungs. Its in this case that they need to go to the vet immediately.

They were due to go to a lady's house (from RR) and my family can't take them plus they live a long way away and I wouldn't want to cause stress.

Since then though, we phoned the rescue that we got them from and the lady who runs it might be able to put them up...fingers crossed.

The vet couldn't diagnose so I hope and pray that she doesn't have pasturella. She's fine most of the time, but when we were in the vets she did the chesty breathing. It has only been a couple of days that she's been sneezing and thats all that's wrong so hopefully we've caught it in time!

Sooty was caught in time and is clear (has been for months) Lolly has a chronic resp infection which is OK if she doesnt go out in cold, wet days (living in Scotland its just as well all the buns are indoors) :lol:
You acted quickly...well done!
Any signs of going downhill take bun straight back to the vet as it can rapidly get worse

Thank you for all your replies, I'm starting to feel better about it. Can't say I slept too well last night though. I didn't realise just how much my babies mean to me until this happened! :cry:

Melanie

As i've said before Alfie has had snuffles since i had him (i got him July this year).

he sneezed alot and now sometime white snot comes out, none of this has gone to his chest thankfully. Antibiotics didn't work and i don't want to put him on anymore as his body will become immune to it should he have any other illnesses.

His swab came back negative of pasturella and i have had a second nasel swab done so will be interested in those results.

My friends bun sneezes alot, and almost coughs when she sneezes and then goes all quite afterwards. The vet gave her antibiotics for week.

It seems that snuffles is very common in rabbits. They are must better living outside (obviously in a dry draft free hutch) than inside.

You shouldn't cancel your holiday because of this though

melanie: Is your bun eating and running around happily as usual?

Do you think that snuffles is caused by living inside then?

We were only going to have to cancel the holiday if we couldn't find anyone to look after the rabbits. Luckily we've found someone who's a member of the house rabbit association and who has loads of experience who will have them for the week!

Everyone who we've spoken to has just said how common snuffles is in rabbits and they reacon that our vet painted a rather grave picture of it.

Once again, thank you all so much for your comments!

Melanie

Do you think that snuffles is caused by living inside then?

Not at all i meant that a snuffly bun is better off in the fresh air, heating etc can cause the bun to feel even more snuffly!

Glad you found someone to look after them

Bonnie

Back