• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stinky rabbit? Any ideas?

bunnyloopy

Alpha Buck
Hi as some of you will have known from previous posts my bunny, baby was poorly a few weks ago with badly matted hair, skin break down and sticky bum. She is in great health now with a good appetite and normal poos!

She is quite a big bunny and has problems cleaning her tail and bum, her tail keeps getting matted with urine (I clean them out every day but she just sits in it when she does it)! Unfortunatly she smells really bad because of this.

How often should I be soaking her bum to try and prevent this? And any other tips? She is a beautiful girl and I dont want her to smell?

does she use a litter box for her wee or just does it everywhere? one of my females does gallons of wee, but she's never wet because she has an underbed box that she sits in, with a couple of inches of megazorb paper based litter at first, which I cover with fresh litter once or twice a day, plus I put her hay in there and she rakes it all over and sits on that - she's never sitting in a puddle because it's all soaked up by the litter, with the hay on top making a dry layer to sit on - I clean the tray out about every 4 days.

Yes thank goodness she uses a little tray which has saw dust and hay in it. There is an occasional small wee on her rug. Can you explain to me what it is you use and where I can get one? I think it would be worth a try.

I use megazorb - http://www.megazorb.co.uk/
there's a list of local suppliers but I don't have a car so I use an online petshop for mine - costs a lot more that way but I like megazorb - shavings and sawdust have health risks, but you could try wood pellet cat litter, so long as there's no clay added - Sainsburys also do a paper based cat litter 100% recycled paper - similar to megazorb but nowhere near as absorbent, and a lot more expensive - but you might like to try it.

Megazorb is only £5 a huge 75litre sack if you can get to a supplier :)

if she if overweight then you must try to get her to loose weight. For the time being it may help to put vasaline on her rear end that will repel any wee. You may need to keep the hair very short by cutting it as well. elve's idea sounds well worth trying. val

Back