• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problems with OX. Timothy Hay?

raine

Warren Veteran
My rabbits have loved the Oxbow Timothy Hay for a year and
eat piles of it. I am in Oxford and purchased three bags of Oxbow
from my garden centre and they sniffed it and wouldn't eat it. I went
to another garden centre and purchased another three bags and
the same thing happened. reluctantly they are now eating the £3 meadow
hayand not looking happy (they normally won't touch this cheaper
hay so they must be hungry). I am surrounded with bags
of Timothy Hay. It looks different to normal and is totally green
(usually it has some brown in it) and this strange hay stays green for days. It is harder
and much coarser. It doesn't look like the same hay I have had for
the past year and I wonder if Oxbow has made anerror. Its a slim
chance but I wonder if anyone from Oxford has purchased any
Timothy and the rabbits won't eat. I know its not the rabbits and something has changed
in this grass. I have loved the Oxbow Timothy Hay as they eat
piles of it.

the same has just happened to me. I live in manchester I have just bought a bag from the vets, like yours its bright green and has the texture of straw, flossie won't touch it and at £9 a bag thats not good.

The last bag I had was softer and a mixture of green and brown hay and like yours Flossie loved it. I had her on a veg and hay diet but because she won't eat any other hay either that has totally ruined her diet and now I have had to give her excel pellets with her veg, which play havoc with her poops ( very small and hard)

What do you think we should do, perhaps we should contact Oxbow?

During the winter the hay seems to be a bit coarser. I order oxbow and the rabbits enjoyed it much more in the spring and summer. They still eat itnow, but the hay I recieved the the summer was better quality. I am sure that any hay they are selling now isn't as fresh as it is in the summer.

hay is made from grass which farmers cut when it reaches a certain length, then dry to make hay - The first cut of the summer, in about May, will have a lot of leafy growth, which is what the animals love - the 2nd cut in about Sept is older grass and more stalk - It's just as good for them, in fact the 2nd cut is higher fibre so better for them, but if they are used to the soft leafy first cut hay they won't like it - give them a few weeks and they'll love it I'm sure :)

I'd have to agree with elve. The last shipment I've gotten was a differant tecture and color, but my buns ate it all the same. Just leave it with them for a while, they will get used to it if they are hungry enough. (I know that sounds mean, but if you want them to try it......)

xxx

Thanks for all your responses. This time last year, I didn't notice any change in the Timothy Hay and for me its always been the same textureand I have never ever had rabbits turn their nose up at it. I am wondering if their has been a packaging mess up and its orchard
hay instead of timothy. Reading on the SPH feed suppliers site, Orchard is greener and much tougher and harder, which describes these 6 bags I am surrounded with!! I have been so lucky with all my rescues all loving hay and to have a day when they are not touching it, freaks me. I am going to email Oxbow and I am also going to go to SPH and look at the bags of Orchard to see if there has been an error. The irony is that it has cost me £50 a week on hay and they would not touch the £3.00 meadow hay. Now after touching no hay for 24 hours, they are eating the £3.00 hay rather than the Oxbow. Could be I have weaned them off the expensive one nonintentionally. Ill get back to you once I have any further info. Happy Xmas to everyone

Never did hear back from Oxbow if there had been a packaging error. The rabbits did carry on eating the £3.00 a bag meadow hay so it looks
as though I weaned them off the £9.00 a bag timothy. They are eating
so much more hay now and seem to chomp all day. My bill has gone
from £50 a week for hay to £15.00 so I am pleased. I don't like the look
of the meadow hay in comparison to the timothy, which looks so much
better, but then I am not eating it!!

Back