• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

toothless bunny

little treasure

Young Bun
one of outdoor bunnies Pepper had his front teeth removed a couple of months ago now due to his front teeth constantly growing crooked,he also had his back teeth filed .

he is coping realy well,and in fact he was eating chopped greens/veggies the night he came back from the vets :D

the only obvious difference is feeding time the other three buns he lives with have their food as normal and he has is own plate of chopped up greens/veg,and as yet the others haven't touched his plate it's as if they know it's just for pepper. :)

The only problem we have semed to notice is that he keeps getting matted up around his bottom,and dad has to wash him off in the sink at least twice a week.

I know normally this would normally could be down to to much rich/green food but he realy doesn't have any compared to what the other 3 bunns get :?

Could this be down to him not being able to clean off/eat his soft droppings due him not having his front teeth.

I was wondering what you suggest,should I stop his fresh food for a few days to see,should I break up some of the dried food for him,he seems to manage with all but the largest bits.

would I need to chop up the hay for him.

he does seem to spen a lot more time on his own now though just sitting in his garage.

:love: Samantha

He won't be able to groom himself properly, rabbits use their teeth to nibble/comb through the tough bits but he should still be able to eat the soft poop as normal.

Does he still eat his hay? If he's gone off it abit then chopping it into shorter pieces might help abit especially if you've got really long hay. He should still be able to eat it though as that's mostly done by the back teeth - it's what helps keep them for overgrowing.

What dry food do you feed - pellets tend to be higher in fibre than mixes. You could try cutting back on the dry food so he eats more hay. Too much dry food can cause it because it has alot of protein in - some brands have higher than others.

What's his weight like? Bunnies that are abit on the plump side can have trouble with mucky bums too :)

Tam

Squidgy had his front teeth removed, and had a similar problem with sticky bottom. We now have his diet finely regulated, but it took a lot of trial and error. He gets 50g of Allen and Page pellets spread out through the day in his treat ball (he loves them so much, he'd scoff all in one go if he could!), a palm size piece of greens every morning, chopped up and then either a few slivers of carrot or apple in the evening. He has a constant supply of hay, which we chop quite finely for him, this includes meadow hay, readigrass and timothy hay cakes. He is a really reluctant hay eater, but has to eat it if there's nothing else there :D .
He also gets a small amount of probiotic in his water.
I think it's a lot of trial and error but I would definitely recommend the Allen and Page pellets.
Good Luck with it!

I will keep a lok out for those pellets Helen,at the minute the buns are on science selective and a mixture of something similar to rusel rabbit,we are sectretly getting them off their old food :lol:

we have some science diet food that we got with our house bun from the RSPCA centre,will this be ok.

I think our problem with food is that he lives with 3 other buns and during the day we can't be sure what he's getting and what they are stealing off him.

I think we'll try a different diet for him and hopefully this helps

:love: Samantha

I think the A&P pellets work so well with Squidgy as they're higher in fibre (I may be wrong!). The condition of his coat has really improved, and his poos are much bigger :oops: .
I'm sure you'll find a solution to it. Baby wipes are great for cleaning mucky bunny bums!!! :D They're a worry aren't they? :wink:

They do love the A&P pellets. All poor Rowan will eat is soaked pellets. He is getting through 2 or 3 bowls a day. I have seen him taste hay, but I don't think he is eating it, but his poops are huge :D He has put on loads of weight (he was incredibly thin when he came, poor lad) so soon I will be able to restrict the amount he gets and encourage him to eat hay, but until now his condition was too poor to risk his not eating enough. He won't use his front teeth at all so I think they need to come out, they are already as long as before the vet trimmed them 3 weeks ago. I suspect his back teeth will need to be done again straight after the holidays too :?

Rosie who has no front teeth loves the A&P pellets too, and will scoff as many as are available. She is eating some hay too, the length doesn't seem to worry her, she just pulls it into her mouth like spagetti. She manages quite large chunks of veg too, not wanting to restrict herself to what I chop specially for her. She wants it all :lol: Her bottom is a bit messy too, but dry stuff, so I think it is down to her not being able to groom rather than to a messy bum. I just comb it for her every few days. The other rabbits groom her too, but I don't think she will let them do her bum, she is the type who doesn't like to keep still. :lol:

Back