• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays - what to use?

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
What do I put in the actual litter tray?

For my last rabbit I used asdas own make cat litter and am currently using on Misty now, But I have read on here is it harmful! Is this true?

What do you suggest in using?

I uy the wood pellet litters as when it gets wet it dissolves rather than clumping. Then put tons of hay on top, Smokie & Archie love to sit in it eating hay

I use a special small animal litter, made for rabbits and piggies. I dont know specific brands, sorry :oops: :roll:

I know that cat litter should not be used though.

xx

I use newspaper, with a layer of straw, then hay. They love to chomp on the hay while,*ahem*, contemplating life :D :oops:

Clay clumping litters are VERY harmful for rabbits! I use a recycled wood, "fluffy" litter atm, but am thinking of switching to a clumping litter that is supposed to be rabbit-safe, as it's made from wheat instead of clay.

well in the litter trays I put beauticat and lots of fresh hay, however them much prepfer to go on my carpets :?

I use woodbased cat litter. Its great, leaves no smell and sophie seems to like it! I don't put anything on top as sophie likes it just with the litter and nothing else! :D

definately the woodbased stuff. it smells really nice and then a good layer of hay - the only trouble is that its so nice in there that they sit there filling it up all day so i have to empty it every night! :roll:

I use Carefresh, super stuff and light to carry home. It is on websites too so readilt available. I initially used hay and then sawdust but my bunny always used cats with cat litter in. Trouble is he used to eat in occassionally. I read up about it so much and found Carefresh, paper based, clean not smelly at all and Jacob loves it! One of my best finds.

I use Megazorb, £10 over the net and a huge bag has lasted me 2 months and still going. Its a paperbased absorbant litter that hides odours well. I have 3 rabbits who have their trays claned on alternate days so it shows what good value it is. I just put a layer over newspaper to i=line the tray and cover it with loads of hay.

I used my cats clay litter for 3 years with no problem and then my bun started nibbling it. It is very dangerous as with moisture from the stomach it expands and clumps, and then they cant pass it. I didnt think he would pull through. Now I use newspaper covered by hay.

Sue

I use a layer of newspaper with a layer of hay on top. Newspaper absorbs well, it's easy to change and it's cheap. In the past I've used carefresh, wood shavings, shredded paper and all sorts on the bottom of the tray, but they're generally just more expensive than using old newspapers and do exactly the same thing.

another vote for Wood based litter and loads of hay on top! it's great and we can take it to the recycling place as garden waste for composting

Carefresh is ink free so safer than normal paper. It says not made from recycled paper so no ink or chemicals. Newspaper can run and if they eat it chemically? Not a scientist, but i do feel safer with carfesh but I am no expert. It's also very soft which is nice for buns bums! Andrex for bunnies!

I have used Carefresh but Megazorb is the same type of stuff and much cheaper. My horse supplier is £6 for a huge sack where Carefresh in £2.99 for a wee bag!!!! Bunnyhugger (OH) got me on to the stuff

I use wood pellets. These seem to be cleaner than sawdust, absorbant but not the clay type. It is a bit expensive so I only put a thin spreading in then it absorbs but isnt wasted and I change the tray regularly. They dont smell odd or perfumed either. its called woodbased cat litter. I also put a load of hay in one end so they can munch from one end and well y know from the other. I also have an extra large cat tray as it is the only size that works. this munching and pooping seems to be what bunnies do!!!!!!

Back