• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rupert down in the dumps

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
I've noticed over the last 2 days that Rupert is looking very depressed and thoroughly miserable. He's not been going out to play like the others :( .

I've put him back into a hutch in the shed so I can monitor his feeding and how much water he takes in. I have put some bio lapsis into his water on vet recommendation. SHall see how he is this morning and if their is no improvement at least I'll get him in the vets tonight. Can't see anything wrong with him, have checked his teeth which are fine (unless its the back ones) can't feel anything wrong with his stomach, and their are no other signs of any injuries or ailments.

Fingers crossed he's okay.

Awwww I hope he is ok, he needs a little friend or 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(only joking)Honest.

Rupert went to the vet as I was really worried about him, he appeared to be more lethargic and had barely done any poops.

She checked him very thoroughly, he let her check his back teeth without putting up a struggle and they where fine. She trimmed a little bit off his front teeth and they where fine too. SHe did lots of prodding around but couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

She gave him a steriod injection and some antibiotics. Then sent me home with Baytril for a week and some Rabbit recovery and bio-lapis (I'm running low on that). She told me to get his weight up and if that didn't work to bring him back next week.

Brought him inside and borrowed one of kayj's indoor containers. So he's currently watching Last of the Summer Wine whilst eating a strange mixture of oats, banana, broccoli and hay.

Later on me and Rupert will do the test the nation thingy :lol: :lol:

I don't think vets are supposed to trim teeth any more? I would be worried about the fact that she prescribed antibiotics for nothing too - she doesn't sound like a very rabbit savy vet? :?

She's the locum vet.

Richard the normal vet was having a well earned week off.
She did do a thorough check over which the previous locum vet failed to do to Smudge before he died of stomach cancer.

I'd rather her be overly cautious than like the other fellow. I do have 7 other rabbits health to consider and I'd rather it was nipped in the bud before it moved onto any of them (including my 7 year old Harry).

Quinn said:
if vets dont trim teeth who do? sorry if thats a silly question

they're supposed to burr them with a tool like a dremmel multi-purpose tool - clipping can shatter the tooth and cause root infections.

Quinn said:
if vets dont trim teeth who do? sorry if thats a silly question

I think what's meant is that teeth should no longer be trimmed with clippers like they were in the past. Some vets still do this, but it's quite outdated as there's a risk of cracking the teeth down to their roots and causing a root infection (which then could result in surgery and tooth extraction anyway!)
Teeth nowadays are usually burred down with a dremel-type tool, as it does not put a sudden, strong pressure on the teeth in the way clippers do, it just gently cuts through the teeth.

Edit: You beat me to it!

How is he feeling now? And how did you do in the test the nation quiz?

My little Dougal has been a bit grumpy today, he was eating ok, but I brought him inside for a bit to have a good look at him, he seems ok, I think he wanted a cuddle - he was much happier after that!

Rupert was no good at test the nation..... I blame hime for my poor score of 39/70 :lol: :lol:

Rupert is currently doing fine, have restricted his movements in order to help him gain weight quickly. All he seems to do at the moment is eat and sleep. He currently has a diet of porridge oats with mashed banana for breakfast, then hay and his russel rabbit food for dinner, as a light snack he has lots of hay, followed by a tea of digestive biscuit and broccoli.
Weight gain is slow but he seems to be a bit more perkier when he's awake, as we have lots of strange ear waggings and scrabbling through the bars of the indoor cage to get ar Hermione.

Fingers crossed he'll be back up to a suitable weight in the next 3 to 5 days, to go back out with the shed bunnies.

Hermione is too naughty for her own good.
She is fascinated by Rupert and is forever trying to climb up the side of the cage to look at him :lol: :lol: .
Rupert doesn't like her and so keeps trying to bite her through the bars :lol: .
The funniest thing is when she grunts at him to try and get his attention :lol: :lol:

Back