• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help/advice needed.....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
I've got a lot of questions so please bear with me....

Blue's just over six months old now and she's always been the smallest of the trio, when she was just over four months old I wormed her and all my other buns (panacur), literally over night she lost all her bodyweight, muscle and everything. :cry:
I brought her inside, phoned Charlie (My vet), he said as long as she was still eating and lively leave her be just keep her warm, should be back to normal in a couple of days.
Couple of days came and went, a week passed no improvement. Phoned Charlie again, was really concerned. :cry: Took her in blood tests, nothing revealed, Charlie said to give her as much food as she can eat in a day as she's still growing so it shouldn't harm her. :shock:

A month and a half on there's been no change, she's painfully thin, but her eyes are bright and she's so full of life. :roll:
She has up to five meals a day plus two tablespoons of oats to try and get some weight on her. Her coat improved but tonight I noticed it's got quite coarse. We're off to see Charlie again in the morning.

Has anyone got any experience with something like this?

Could it have been an allergic reaction to Panacur and why's she still like it now?

A bun in definate pain wouldn't be full of life, eyes bright, bounding around etc would they?

Sorry for all the questions but both me and vet are stumped.

Thanx

Gem and Blue x

Edited to add: I checked with the vet before worming her as I wasn't sure what age she could have it

hi

quite often the littler, weaker one has some congenital thing wrong with it inside too - maybe her metabolism is just wrong in some uncureable way? What about her thyroid gland? Hope she stays happy and healthy :)

Back