• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

IS IT OK TO FEED BUNNY PEAS...?AS MY BUN ADORES THEM

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

I've been lookin through different posts to see whether it's ok to feed rabbits peas. My bunny absolutey adores peas and will run up to me and beg for them.

Have just read through several lists on this website and cannot find 'peas' mentioned on any of them.

Is it safe for my lil bun to eat peas as he absolutely loves them and they are one of the only veggies he truly likes...have tried him on almost all other veggies mentioned in the lists and he doesn't seem interested.

Please can you advise?

Nicola xxx

I'm not sure if they're harmful but they might be rather high in carbohydrate? I'm not exactly certain, someone else will be able to tell you I'm sure :). But I do recall reading that about peas and carbs somewhere.

Posted by Bunnyhugger:

Lynn, there are conflicting view of what's safe and unsafe food for rabbits. That's why it's always better to question. Peas were on this list but I took them off as I'm still not happy about rabbits eating them (however, that is only my opinion). If there is ever any doubt, err on the safe side and don't give it. There's loads of yummy alternatives.

So, peas IN MODERATION should be OK, but as Bunnyhugger said, it's always best to it's best to err on the safe side.

hi

peas are high in sugar, so just treat them as you would fruit, and give a tiny amount as an occasional treat - I hate that 'disappointed bunny' face though :roll:

Thanks so much for replying.

I was getting rather worried as I couldn't find 'peas' mentioned on any of the other posts on this forum.

Harvey adores them and I often have them with my tea so he'll charge over to me and beg for them.....he is just so cute!!!

Thing is they are the only veggies he truly likes...he is a fussy lil ratbag!! So he does tend to eat them quite often. Am goin to have to find a yummy alternative.......

Thanks,
Nic xx

In my booklet from the vet it says foods that should not be fed are - honey sticks, beans, peas, corn, breakfast cereal, biscuits, nuts, seeds, crisps and chocolate.

.......really...? Oh no.... I've fed my dear lil bun many peas over the last few months...

Do you think this will upset him?

Nic x

if he seems ok he will be fine. I think its just that those foods are high fat and high carbs which can lead to obesity and digestive upsets.
They can have empty pea pods though so you might like to try those instead.

Thanks Estelle,

He only likes peas out of all the veggies I've tried him on. I will try some pea pods and see what he thinks of them.

He's a wild bunny. I found him on Easter Sunday lying in the road. He has been nursed back to health but was blinded in one eye so cannot be released. He was only about 8wks old when I found him so is quite tame now. He is really gorge. I would post a pic if I knew how to.

Thanks,
Nic xxx

BUNNY1.jpg

This is my attempt at posting a pic of Harvey, my wild bun, so apologies if it doesn't work.

Nicola

hi

aww he's lovely - lovely story about him too - fact is stranger than fiction sometimes :shock:

Bet he likes grass though?

He's a lovely bun! :D So great that you found him :)

the right veg, fruit and plants can be a nightmare with so much conflicting advice from different sites :? I always gave my buns sugar snap pes, now I'm told I am doing wrong :( same with green beans, the fine ones :( I always thought I was doing the right thing and that the lovely fresh veg was doing my bunnies good. :? now carrots are too high in sugar, and apples too and Gypsy's fav baby corn is a no no :( is there any thing left that she can eat?

He's my baby!!!!

He was only about 8 wks old when I found him so is now about 9 months. He is in the house at the mo and when I get home from work he charges around the front room. I had a 9ft run made for him so when the weather's nice he can go out there. I have also taken on a female wild rab from a rescue so when she has been spayed they can live in their luxury suite together.

Last night I was sat watching the tele and he came over for some peas and I didn't give him any. He looked so upset. I went and chopped up a load of veg for him. Brocolli, carrots, carrot tops and cabbage but he just rolled it all around the floor hoping to uncover a pea.....but there were none. I felt so guilty. He looked so disappointed. Can anybody tell me why peas are so bad for them? Somebody on this post said they picked a leaflet up from the Vets and it said not to feed peas.

Thing is he is very very fussy. Where he was knocked in the accident it has misaligned his teeth which means frequent trips to vets to have his molars trimmed. I am going to start another thread in a mo about hay.

Thank you for your replies. Harvey really is beautiful and I love him very very much. I think he is extra special seeing as I found him on Easter Sunday. He is a real character and is so comical to watch.

I've just been reading the lists of veggies and the problems with giving rabs too much calcium. Which veggies are high, low and medium in calcium...it's mind boggling.

So can I please ask you all what are the best veggies to give your bunny
for their health.

L of L,

Nic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brussell sprouts are low in calcium. As long as he gets plenty of hay to keep his digestive system and teeth healthy then I'm sure a couple of peas every now and then won't hurt him.
I know corn is difficult to digest and can cause a blockage in the tummy so I avoid that totally.
I feed mine hay, hay and more hay with a little portion of broccoli, sprouts, fresh greens (which look like cabbage leaves) carrot and tops every day and occasionally apple and herbs.
You only need worry if they are eating large amounts of one particular vegetable.

Re: hi

elve said:
peas are high in sugar, so just treat them as you would fruit, and give a tiny amount as an occasional treat - I hate that 'disappointed bunny' face though :roll:

peas are not going to kill him! there's a lot of contradictory advice on the internet - just use your common sense and give only a little of anything high in sugar, like peas and dried fruit, not every day, and don't give bunnies any processed wheat snacks or cereals, nuts, seeds or sweetcorn - sweetcorn hulls are indigestible, although baby corn might be OK as it's tender :)

Back