• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
I have a 14 week old french lop, storm, and after a shakey start introducing him to my spayed female, gypsy, they get along great :D I'm a bit worried that when hormones kick in, their new found love will change. I know I will have to have him neutered when he's old enough at some point. How likely is it that his personality will change when he reaches adulthood? Gypsy changed when she was 6 months, when she was spayed it calmed her nesting, But when she came back she was very very nervous, it took her a week to get her confidence back :( she was terrified of me after getting back from the vet!.
I've never had a baby male bunny, so I don't know know how their personality could change when they become adults. He has a lovely nature at the moment.
At what age does a male rabbit become an adult? and how soon get you get him done? Will there be stitches?
i'm always very nervous about any surgery with my buns :( sorry about all the questions, I just need to know what to expect.

Hiya! Storm can be neutered as soon as his 'bits' :oops: are down. As he's a large breed that is likely to be when he's about 5-6 months of age. As he approaches puberty you'll probably find he 'pesters' his girlfriend a lot and she might get fed up with him :roll: :roll: . This MIGHT result in a scuffle if she tells him off and he then fights back :shock: . Storm will also start to spray urine over her....and no doubt you too :roll: :roll:. Getting him neutered will really just calm down all his 'up-for-it' :roll: behaviour and he wont be such a smelly lad either :D :D Neutering a male bun is less invasive than a spay,(as long as the 'bits' are fully down) so Storm will no doubt be back to normal within 24 hours. The op' itself only takes a few minutes. Some vets use sutures others use a wound closing glue. If sutures are used some vets use the ones that just dissolve, others use ones that need to be removed after about 7 days. This is easily done and does not require any form of sedation....for the bun or the vet!! :shock: :lol: :lol: We look forward to seeing some piccies of your big lad!! :D :D Jane and Bunsxx

Spraying is by no means certain to happen, its usualy just the over zealous males. Ive got a lot of male rabbits and only one sprays. They are of course my own that have not bin done. [my show buns] . Most males dont change in temprement much when they mature its the does that are worse :lol: . If youve a good vet then your rabbit should be ok and back to normal after 24 hrs. Ive found though that some vets can be a bit heavy on the anesthetic and then your rabbit may take longer to come good again. val

Thanks for the replies! he's not showing any signs of adulthood yet, guess he's still too young. I really want to post pics of him and Gypsy but will have to borrow a digital camera, then work out how to post them on here :oops: I've heard that does are much worse when they become adults :) Gypsy really was a little nutcase! :lol: not aggressive, just crazy! I don't think she will tollerate a erm... Randy Storm when the time comes! she will most likely chase him away! :) I will just have to keep an eye on him and erm.... his bit! :lol:

Back