View Full Version : Not sure what to do...

14-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I previously worked at a farm with the rabbits. There are 6 now, and four of them have Pasteurella.

Zack (P+) is 8 in 2006
Dusty (P+) is 6 in 2006
Carter (P+) is 6 in 2006
Corin (P+) is 2
Dandelion (P-) is 3
Mercutio (P-) is 3.

Since I left, the sheds have been kept in a state, the Pasteurella rabbits haven't been getting their aureomycin, Carter's spurring incisor hasn't been cut, my concerns have been returned with an answer more or less telling me to mind my own business; they can't be sold because of their age and Pasteurella status, and I'm not sure that they are being looked after properly... I'm worried that by calling the RSPCA I'm dooming all of them to be put down when they needn't be. Carter hasn't shown symptoms for over 6 months...

What do you think I should do?

14-12-2005, 10:24 PM
I think it would depend on what the RSPCA is like in your area. I don't have any experience with them as I'm not in England, but I've heard some branches put down rabbits with pasturella. Is there another rabbit rescue locally that you could approach? They might not be able to help directly but they may know more about the local RSPCA's policies, and what is likely to become of the rabbits.

Is there any way you could take on the rabbits yourself? Or work there for a short time each week on a voluntary basis? It sounds like a difficult situation.

15-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I now live an hour and twenty minutes away, and I can't have any more rabbits...

I don't know about any local places.

23-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I would call the rspca, The care will be better then what they are getting now.

29-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Call the RSPCA.
I would rather see an animal put to sleep peacefully than live a life of suffering.

I'd rather be put to sleep than spend the rest of my life in distress!


30-12-2005, 07:59 PM
What happened Bindi?

30-12-2005, 09:21 PM
I think the RSPCA should get involved it's too much for one single person to cope with :oops:

10-01-2006, 12:34 PM
OK- update.

I visited and they seems to have got their act together after much pushing (although I was told more or less to get lost). The Pasteurella rabbits look much better and the healthy ones are still healthy.

Unfortunately Dusty, who was in the worst condition of the lot, was put to sleep today. She had Pasteurella, Depression and suspected mucometra. I don't blame them for letting her go.

The surviving rabbits are in good state last time I looked, and I am receiving e-mails from the two girls in charge of them to keep me updated. I think that we're OK now.

Thankyou for your help, I will continue to liaise with the farm and ensure that they are looked after.

Nicola C
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Good work Bindi. What do you mean by 'farm' by the way? Or do I not want to know!?!? :(
Nicola x

10-01-2006, 11:59 PM
Well done for helping those poor bunnies!

11-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Oooh, I've been following this thread for a while waiting for a good ending!! And I've got one!! I'm so happy the rabbits are in a better state, and you were able to help!

Well done :thumb:


11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, a PARTIALLY happy ending anyway... it's lucky that poor Bandit isn't human, or she'd be shattered. That's now both parents, a step-mother, two brothers, two half-brothers, a half-sister and her two babies. Poor girl.

Lol, a farm with sheep and cattle and pigs... and pedigree rabbits for SHOWING. :lol: Although obviously we don't show them any more because of their illness.