• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ANTIBIOTICS AND THE USE OF PROBIOTICS. ADVICE PLEASE.

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

My bunny is on antibiotics at the moment and I've read on a lot of websites that it is recommended to give your rabbit probiotics when they are on antibiotics. Where do you buy probiotics from? What form does it come in and how do you give it to to your rabbit? Do you put it in their food? What is the recommended dosage for a small rabbit?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

L of L,

Nicola xxx

You can get it from the internet Animal Ark i think does it. It comes in powderd form that you put in the water and the instructions on how much are on the packet!

I use it whenever the buns get Antibiotics it does seem to help them and keep there poo firm!

Probiotics are used in the same way as some people take live yogurt (whether in a drink form or in a yogurt form) when they are on antibiotics. Antibiotics are know to flush out the 'good bacteria' in the body and these help replace them.

Something which may or may not interest you is that a year ago there was a study done on the over 65's in a hospital set up where anyone started on antibiotics were given a 'drink' some of these were a placebo others did contain probiotics. The findings were that of those having the probiotic drink far fewer people had problems with an antibiotic induced diarrhoea than those on the placebo.

Janice

Hi Phill,

Just phoned my Vets. They sell something called 'Protexin', which you buy in 2g sachets for 88p a sachet.

Is that what your buns have?

Nic xxxxxxxx

probiotics

Hi Janice,

Thanks for that. How do you know how much powder to put in the water? My bunny is quite small, he's a wild bun that I found in the road on Easter Sunday...of all days!! He was only about 8wks old when I found him so he's nearly 9months old now. He cannot be released as he is blind in one eye. He is absolutely gorgeous.

Nicolaxxxxx

Jacob has had a mucky bum in the past, and also when I changed foods to diet food, I use probiotics. i got mine from the vets and use one sachet a day for a week/10 days. Then for another week or two I used say 1/4 of the packet a day. It seemed to help, though we are doing OK now without it. I would try again if necessary. I just sprinkled in Jacobs food, he was happy to eat it. Just ask the vet for it, they should have some.

The sachets should have making up instructions on them. I use Avipro from Vetark and is a lot cheaper to buy direct then from the vets http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/detail.asp?catno=4&pnum=A2A4Z

It describes how many scoops/litre and as most water bottles have volumes on side it should be easy to work out.

I used it when Zeus was on some pretty strong antibiotics and thankfully he didn't suffer!

Caz

Thank you.

I've bought some Avipro from the Vets and put some in Harveys drinking water. Am hoping it will help him.

Thank you all for your advice,

Nic xxxxx

Does anyone use Avipro or other probiotic on a daily basis in their drinking water, rather than when the buns are on antibiotics or not well? Just wondering, as if humans use Yakult etc on a daily basis to keep the right bacteria balance, maybe it's good to give it daily to buns too?

Thanks, Sue

Back