• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toby keeps stumbling (Update)

Toby

Banned
Toby keeps falling on his side at times. The other morning when he did a binki he fell on his side and had trouble getting up on his feet, I had to help him. Then just now he jumped back in his cage and fell on his side. His fine and normal with in himself but he just keeps having falls. I am going to try book him into the vets this week, but has anyone else had this? Anyone knows what it might be? He goes really quite after its happened because it frightens him I think. Thing is he fairly active, more them what he should be so how to you keep a rabbit from jumping about as much?

Emma

post subject

I would make a vets appointment ASAP and get your rabbit to them. My Bracken was like this back in the summer and he was diagnosed with inner ear infection, which needs to be treated ASAP.

Not saying this is the case with yours but a trip to the vets is advised.

post subject

I would make a vets appointment ASAP and get your rabbit to them. My Bracken was like this back in the summer and he was diagnosed with inner ear infection, which needs to be treated ASAP.

Not saying this is the case with yours but a trip to the vets is advised.

Oh great that doesn’t sound good (she says trying not to panic). I will get him to the vet, Ill try for tomorrow. But can I ask how often your buns where falling? Toby only falls now and again with his jumps, and its not every time. Ill see what the vet says. But if it is anything to do with his brain, there isn't much the vet can do about that. My boyfriend seems to think he slid on the news paper in his cage. :?

Poor thing, Pip kept stumbling and was wobbly, couldn't jump up onto her fave wall but the vet thinks it is due to her being weak + bit fragile! Hope all goes well at the vets, it's so worrying when all is not well.

Nicola

I am just worried that his wart may have spread and infected deeper. But then I am not a vet. Thing is I have only seen him fall twice. His balance isn’t great when he scratches his ear but he doesn’t fall often. I am feeling a bit guilty because I should have got him in sooner, but because I don’t drive, and with oap (i.e. Toby) it’s difficult to tackle. Boyfriend leaves work at 12 tomorrow so Ill try for tomorrow. Toby isn't fragile or anything likes that, his very active bunny. I am worried. I wish they could talk :lol:

let us know how you get on at the vets!

this happened to wicket and he had also lost a lot of weight. it turned out to be related to his kidney's failing and as a result the calcium built up on his bones.

i REALLY hope its nothing similar as we had to make a hard decision.

get to the vet soon and i'm hoping for the best.

Yeah his booked into 5:30. I mean I aren’t no vet but his not "ill" as in if you looked at him you would think "poor bunny". His very bouncy, bright and happy. Just that on the odd occasion (why being his active self) he ends up on his side. His not lost weight, his always been slim. But that’s not to say it’s the beginning of something not so good. But ill let you know what the vet says tonight.

Just got back from the vets. Toby is FIIINE :D . He just has really sensitive ears (can’t remember the medical name for it because it’s long :lol: ) and sometimes when he shakes his head and jumps it will make him feel dizzy :( . As the vet said “it’s what you sometimes get when you’re getting older, that’s why we don’t see old people dancing around in the street" :lol: . After this visit I realise how friendly our vet is. We had a good chat, but he nearly died (again) over his age. He said “well its okay he has a wart then” (as it is a wart) fairly rare in rabbits. So yeah, he fine and dandy. :D :wink:

:thumb: Yaaaaaay for Toby!!! He better give the Break Dancing a rest though :lol: :lol: Soooooo pleased he is OK!! Jane and Bunsxx

Thanks guys. He worries me silly sometimes but these hick ups will happen in his time of life. But I am very confident in our vet. I broke my carrier and the vet even fixed that! :shock: I am just glad its not his brain lol. He did worry that he had lost weight (resulting in dodgy kidneys) so he marched Toby to the scales himself, but nope he hadn't. Toby is healthy through and through at the mo. :D

Glad Toby is ok!

The vet (is his name Rob - hope it is because i call him that to his face!?!) fix's Alfie's carrier as well everytime i go in there!! he is obviously an expert...

Back