• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccine

Quinn

Mama Doe
Just wondering if everyone has this vaccine done for their rabbits? are there as many outbreaks as Myxi? Quinn is due to go back to the vets this weekend to have his

I had Barney vaccinated last week for Mixi, I also was wondering about the VHD when can he have this one done, has there got to be a gap between the two? or is it ok to have it done now.

Ali and Barney :wink:

Ali said:
I had Barney vaccinated last week for Mixi, I also was wondering about the VHD when can he have this one done, has there got to be a gap between the two? or is it ok to have it done now.

Ali and Barney :wink:
You should leave two week gap

I was just checking because over the phone the vet nurse said myxi isnt always necessary if you arent near wild animals, i ignored her and went to the vets who said as we have foxes etc near by he would advise getting the myxi first and as there are always outbreaks of that.

He said he hadn't seen a case of VHD for years, he didnt say don't have it of course he just said have the myxi first and my friend is supposed to be coming with me this week so she can get her rabbit done too

I think the reason most don't see VHD is because rabbits appear well and then die very quickly. The vast, vast majority of the rabbit owning public aren't then going to take their bunny into the vets for a post mortem, hence it doesn't get seen very often! Of course I guess this does mean that it's difficult to tell whether it is still prevalent or not, but as there is a vaccine available, I would definitely have it done!

You should leave a clear 2 week gap between myxi and VHD jabs, partly because the 2 vaccines aren't licensed for use together (different manufacturers) and partly to give your bunny's immune system more chance to 'cope' with making the antibodies to each, rather than having to do it both at the same time.

I would ignore the nurse's advice. Myxi is transmitted by mosquitos and fleas etc so you can be some distance away from wild animals but I'll bet you're near to insects which can get there more easily!

I'd read about Myxi which is why i ignored her anyway and will be telling my friend to do the same, he had his Myxi not saturday just gone but the one before so if i take him this saturday it will be 14 days and all done and sorted before christmas.

I had the vet check his sex as well while i was there..... not that i dont trust P@H or anything lol

I'd suggest go to a different vets, if they're giving you advice that says don't give myxi vaccines then they're obviously not knowledgable about rabbits at all. My vets said that if you're not near wild rabbits then the myxi vaccine needs to be done annually, if you are near wild rabbits then it should be done every six months - that's why I went with them.

With regards to the vaccines, I always get mine done annually, with the vaccines two weeks apart. Also with one of the vaccines (can't remember which - help?!!), a little is injected under the skin, then the rest is injected into the muscle.

My vets also do a free check-up of the rabbits (teeth, feeling their internal organs etc.) every time they have their jabs - that way they get checked out at least once a year.

Hope this helps!

AMETHYST

Tried ringing round my local vets for vacines and finding one to give vhd was really difficult. They all think there are no outbreaks which makes me cross. The ones that do do it charge an absolute fortune. Maybe prices have just gone up from when I last had rabbits.

When i had the rabbits vaccinated last year i had them done for Myxi and was trying to leave a 6 months gap between that and the VHD as my old vet had said he hadn't seen a case for 20 Years in my area. So i thought a 6 month gap would be nothing and risked it. I lost 10 of my bunny's to VHD Including 3 7 week old baby's and there mum. It was awful! Quite possibly the worst thing i have ever experienced in my whole life! So when your vet says they havn't seen a case ignore them completly! And def have your rabbits done for both VHD and Myxi! Myxi is transmitted by biting insects so can travel large distances and VHD is like foot and mouth! It can be carried to anywhere on anything!!!!

Hi sorry it wasnt the actual vet it was the person who answered the phone not sure if that was the nurse or if they have a receptionist who said that myxi wasn't necessary.

The vet did say he hadnt seen an outbreak of VHD for years but when i think about it he was just saying that to decide which vaccine to give first because of the 2 week gap.

Quinn is going this saturday for his VHD vaccine as i obviously dont want him getting it, but it makes more sense now why the vet hasnt seen cases in ages if it comes on so quickly - so thanks for the advice

Rudy had his VHD vaccine in September. I havent heard of any outbreaks in this area but having read what the disease does I would rather be safe then sorry.

Back