PDA

View Full Version : Would this make me a bad owner?

dogmaddebbie
13-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Hiya,

Sorry some more questions.

As I have already posted, I am due to make my mind up about a four month old French Lop male bun today. He is for sale in my local garden centre.

I just have a couple of doubts, firstly should I wait until I can get a male and female lop at the same time, as I wouldn't want him to live on his own. And so in a couple of months I was thinking of having him done and then getting a female bun. Would he be OK on his own for a few months?

Also as mentioned in another post I am concerned that it may be too cold at the moment for a baby bun outside (he would be a shed bun!)

Please let me have your advice as soon as possible, I really don't want to do the wrong thing, but he is adorable. I told the lady in the shop that I would let her know today.

Thanks

Estelle
13-12-2005, 08:50 AM
If he is living indoors with heating then a shed outside maybe too cold for him. He won't have a winter coat. Is there anyway you could keep him indoors till spring? Or are you able to put a heater in your shed?
He will be fine on his own till he gets neutered. I have Amber living alone outside and Dexter is alone inside. Hopefully they will live together next spring when he has been neutered and the weather is warmer. He only has soft baby fluff and wouldn't be warm enough outside.

Quinn
13-12-2005, 09:00 AM
My bun came from indoors and moved outdoors, hes in a hutch with LOTS of bedding to keep him warm, woodshavings to keep him dry and any damp out and a big blanket over the hutch to keep the draught out and he is also on his own until he gets neutered and i convince OH to let me get him a girlfriend

Is the shed insulated, does it normally feel cold in there? - is it possible to get a heater?

dogmaddebbie
13-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I plan to get the shed insulated before I get him, how is the best way to do it?

What type of heater would you recommend? Would he be OK with just a snuggle safe?

At the moment the garden centre he is in, isn't very warm as it is like a large warehouse, but I would say it is warmer than my shed.

I couldn't really keep him in the house at the moment as we have three dogs and two cats already!

Again quick advice needed before I phone up to reserve him please.

I only want to get him if I can do the best by him as he is a sweetheart.

Many Thanks

Estelle
13-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Is he going to be in a hutch in the shed? He maybe warm enough if he has a snugglesafe and you warm it up day and night so he has constant warmth. If he is litter trained you could put a fleece igloo in there too to keep him warm.

Quinn
13-12-2005, 09:22 AM
from reading what others have said they often use that silver roof insulation from B&Q, i think its quite cheap, and make sure the shed is treated so its waterproof.

There are fleecy beds and all sorts you can get to help them keep warm although quinn tried to eat his, i haven't tried him with a snuggle safe yet.

i would think as long as you have lots of bedding and somewhere he can go, like an igloo or somewhere warm to hide he will be ok as long as the shed is dry and relatively warm

As i say i have quinn in just a hutch outside as we dont have a shed and he has been ok with lots of bedding and a blanket over the hutch

dogmaddebbie
13-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Promising replies, I really want him! But I don't want him freezing on me!

Looks like I will have a busy DIY weekend ahead of me!

The fleece igloos that you talk about, are these the ones you get for cats?

I have got a large cat carrier, which i could cover with a blanket and make that nice and snug for him.

I will have a chat with the lady in the shop this evening, luckily she is knowledgable on rabbits and the french lop breed in particular as she keeps them herself.

Quinn
13-12-2005, 09:46 AM
I dont know if all rabbit breeds are the same but basically i was told that heat is more worrying for a rabbit than the cold and that they are quite hardy creatures, they do need to grow their winter coats but as long as its not absolutely freezing he should be ok

My friend and I both got our rabbits from P@H where they were indoors and they both went outside into hutches. There are all sorts of beds you can get i had one called a cuddle cup which was fleecy, im not sure on the igloos but im sure someone was posting pics a few days ago in the picture forums of their rabbit in an igloo.

This thread has some good info on keeping the shed dry http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=13548

Oh and i think they are the cat igloos

kayj
13-12-2005, 10:21 AM
If he will have a hutch in the shed (I would shut him up at night so that he is free from draughts) with plenty of bedding in or some sort of shelter with bedding in then I think he should be ok as you can always add more bedding and insulate the hutch or shed if you think it needs it.

dogmaddebbie
13-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, spoken to the shop. They are holding him for me till I go and put a deposit on him tonight.

The lady there did say he was quite used to the cold as they don't have any heat on overnight and it is still cold during the day, he was also raised in a shed until he was eight weeks old.

She gave me plenty of advice (similar to what you have all said) about how to keep the shed warmer and for him to have a hutch with lots of bedding in the shed and to raise it off the floor.

So this weekend I will definately be busy with lots of DIY. I can't wait!

kayj
13-12-2005, 01:25 PM
So when are you picking the little bunster up?

dogmaddebbie
13-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm aiming to collect him next Monday, as I have the day booked off work.

Went out and bought a new hutch for my other rabbits at lunch, it's nice and big, double decker with run at the front, so they will have lots of new things to explore.

Already chosen a name for the new bun..........Elvis! Of course if I get him a girlfriend in the future she will have to be called Priscilla!!