• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Both bunnies in for ops this month *sigh*

Bindi

Warren Scout
Sealy has to have another operation on his mouth, and Bandit is going to be spayed... unfortunately her op is most likely to coincide with Sealy's ill period (sick bunny once every 6-8 weeks). So I'll have two bunnies to look after.

What aftercare would be advised for Bandit?

I always keep a spayed bun in a really small area, ie dog pen, so they don't try and move to muc and hurt themselves. check for poo's and mak sure she is eating and drinking ok. I always keep a check on the wound.

No leave it it will be fine, I would lay a vet bed or some clean towels in the hutch instead of saw dust or what ever you use for your normal bedding as it can irritate the wound. :D

I'm trying to get hold of a fleece like I got Sealy, but I don't think they have them any more... What about a hot water bottle wrapped in towels? She'll be furless and, although indoors, it's cold weather...

No hot water bottle, as if it's too warm she may have difficulty moving. She will be fine :D

No hot water bottle, as if it's too warm she may have difficulty moving. She will be fine :D

Lol, thanks. I just want to look after her the best I can. She's pushing 4 now and I want to get it done before she gets cancer (it's a good percentage, isn't it? My vet said 90% after the age of 7).

There is a cancer risk yeah, there are risks with neutering too though. Zippy and Scobby were old girlies when they were done and they were fine :thumb:.

Your bunster will be back to normal in no time.

*sigh* The final operation lasted an hour and left a good old dent in my pocket.

It turned out that she had a follicular cyst on one ovary, an extra flap of tissue on the other ovary, and mucometra. Fantastic. At least we caught it, because the vet says it's about 25% of her body weight we've just cut out. She's at home now, and she's one unhappy rabbit.

poor girly - if you give her water in a dish it will be easier for her to drink, but if she's used to a bottle try holding the spout next to her mouth and she may have a good old suck :)

The painkillers usually wear off 2 days after the op, so if she goes all subdued and won't eat, pop her back to the vets for another shot of painkiller and gut stimulant if she's not pooping much by then either.

Hope she gets well soon - has she got invisible stitches?

Back