• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

thumper my not so grumpy old man..NEW UPDATE

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
is slowing down . hes nearly 8 yrs old and over the last few days has had less and less energy and seems to want to lay in his bed all day. i know the time is coming to say good bye and im going to miss him loads.
i hope he just goes in his sleep nice and peaceful. i dont want to see him in pain or sressed at the vets .

Angie

arh soory to hear about thumper, could he just be havin a off couple of dys with the weather angie? i must admit this is just one part of looking aftre bunnys and lots of them that i just cant get used to and find so terrible difficult :cry: :cry:

no i dont think hes just having a few off days. i ve noticed a change in him since he had his teeth done last time about a month ago. he looks realy frail and weighs nothing when i pick him up even though hes been on extra rations.
poor boy hates the vets . realy stressess him out . i dont know what to do for the best. take him and have him checked over or trust my instincs that it is old age and leave him to go peacefully at home .

i ve had him from 8 weeks old and hes still my little boy.

Angie

hi

Aww that's really sad for you Angie - can you bring him in the house and give him hot porridge for supper? What about those echinicea (or something :roll: ) teabags from holland and barrett? You can sprinkle a teabag of the leaves onto his food and it's a real tonic I've heard - Hope he perks up :)

He hates being inside elve. when he has his teeth done i have to put him straight back out cos he finds it too stressful to be inside , he just huddles and refuses to eat... silly boy obviously doesnt crave a pampered life..bless him.

Angie

thunper2.jpg

Thumper , taken about august

Trust your instincts Angie....you know what is best for your little bun. Familiar surroundings will make him feel safe so if, for him that's outside then that's what's right. Thinking of you...I know it is hard when a much loved bun has to leave for The Bridge. You will know if he needs to be helped along the journey or if he can just pass over in his own time. Jane and Bunsxx

aww Angie he looks a bit like my old boy Bran....he has spells where I think I might loose him then he perks up again..he's now 11..so chin up...sending hugs to you and your lovely old man! x

Thumper is even quieter today havnt seen him out of his bed at all. not eating much only his greens. put him some extra straw in to keep him warm. i d love to cuddle him but he hates being picked up so i ll leave him in peace.

its realy hard watching him like this.hes had ups and downs before , but not like this.

Angie

monday night put thumper on baytril as i noticed him leaning to one side and suspected an ear infection . saw a marked improvement by wed night . no longer think it is just old age so decided to take him to vets.
turns out he has a serious ear infection which may be signs of an abssess in his inner ear or even his brain. Baytrill i put him on has started to help so to continue with that but higher dose plus antibiotic drops.
Not looking good for the old boy . vet not very optomistic because of the signs hes showing and his age. if he doesnt respond to treatment it probably means his brain is affected and there is nothing else they can do.
Also side effect of drops may cause him to go deaf even if he recovers he wont be able to hear.

my poor poor baby. :cry:

so much for going to sleep peacefully :cry:

Angie

Oh, angie... :cry: I'm so sorry to hear he's dooing so poorly. Hang in there; You're doing everything possible for your bun. (((((((((((Angie))))))))))

Awwww Angie your poor old boy. I had a bun with a severe middle ear infection and clinical signs of meningitis,(headtilt,nystagmus-'flicking eyeballs') Aswell as antiotics we put him on colvoson (steroid) normally contra-indicated with bacterial infection but in the 'last hope saloon' you tend to throw away the rule book!! The bun was also given stemitil (anti-emetic) as although buns cant vomit middle ear disease may well make them feel they wish they could!! Anyways, it took 2 weeks of intensive care...syringe feeds etc but the bun pulled through. I guess you have to go with what your old boy can cope with. If intensive handling just stresses him too much then obviously it is not right for him. Please let us know how things go...Jane and Bunsxx

hi

Aww poor Thumps - he must have had a headache - Maa had a big abscess in her head when they took her eye out - 3wks of baytril and she's fine, although there's a strange lump over the eye socket - She's totally deaf too but seems happy enough with life, in its limited way - Animals don't want as much out of life as we do - just food, comfort and safety - Hope the baytril knocks his infection on the head :)

aww Angie how sad for you, sending lots of snuggles to Thumper and hope he can be peaceful soon, take care Ang xx :cry:

well Thumper came runnig(if somewhat sideways) for his breky this morning . he s livelier than he has been all week. just given him his baytrill and put his drops in his ears now hes sulking :?

Jane
i spoke at lengh with the vet last night and i ve decided to treat with the baytril and drops (the drops were a sort of last ditch as she doesnt usualy use them for this type of thing)
hes also on metacam for pain and inflamation.
if he shows an improvement then great and we ll take it from there but ive decided that if he gets worse im not putting him through syringe feeding or anything else.
He is so frail bless him . ive syringe fed lots of buns including one with an ear infection (who sadly we lost) and i dont see the point of putting him through the stress if its only prolonging his suffering
i guess the next couple of days will tell.

im not too hopefull though after seeing the amount of puss she got out of his ear last night.

i ll keep you all informed .
thanks everyone

Angie

Back