• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or dried grass - which is better for teeth?

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi,

I did a post a while back asking how good Supa Excel Forage was. Thing is my buns (strange as this may sound) seem to prefer this stuff to Western Timothy Hay. Is Super Excel Forage as good for their teeth as the hay is? Maybe they're concerned for my wallet as the Supa Excel Forage stuf is quite a bit cheaper than Timothy Hay (bless them) :lol:

Cheers,

Nick

My toothless buns eat a lot of Readigrass/JustGrass/timothy chop/grass chop mixed together, and it seems to do the job for their teeth as it's been 9 months since Mary had to have his teeth done under aneasthetic, and although Squishy's back teeth aren't ideal he's not needed any dentals for them in his lifetime (and he's about 8 months old now).
They do get the choice of timothy hay, as well as whatever other hay I can get hold of (found a meadow hay they love, so they're getting through loads of that lately), as well as recently going out on the grass now everyone's up to date with jabs.
They always have access to timothy hay, though only get through a large handful between the three of them within 12 hours, whereas if I give them 4 bowls of the chopped up stuff it's gone within hours. I tend to give them a lot of the chopped stuff so I know they are eating some hay - not giving them any doesn't really increase the intake of timothy hay so they might as well get the benefit of the chopped stuff too.
Have you looked at the timothy chop and the hgih fibre grass mix on www.bunnybasics.net ? You get the benefit of the timothy hay but mine seem to prefer it in the chop (probably easier for them since they've got no incisors), plus the high fibre grass mix is a big hit and doesn't upset my other bun's tum like ReadiGrass seems to do.

Back