• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Genticin eye/ear drops

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone used these? the vet has given me them for alfies chin as it keeps having a little puss where the boney growth is but just wondered why he has eye/ear drops for his chin!

Hiya!.The ear/eye drops contain an antibiotic called GENTAMICIN. It can be used for local treatment of abscsesses. It can either be packed into the abscess cavity within a sort of 'bone cement' or can be applied daily in liquid form into the abscess cavity.This is usually done by injecting the Gentamicin into the soft tissue within the abscess.I expect your Vet thinks the ear/eye drops are a suitable alternative for administering the medication!! Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
Hiya!.The ear/eye drops contain an antibiotic called GENTAMICIN. It can be used for local treatment of abscsesses. It can either be packed into the abscess cavity within a sort of 'bone cement' or can be applied daily in liquid form into the abscess cavity.This is usually done by injecting the Gentamicin into the soft tissue within the abscess.I expect your Vet thinks the ear/eye drops are a suitable alternative for administering the medication!! Jane and Bunsxx
Thanks for that :)
I have to put one drop on twice a day

I don't have the knowledge that you have, Jane, but I wondered whether it was a proprietary name for something which contained gentamycin - would seem logical to treat such a lesion with antibiotics. :D Many years ago, my brother had a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic and had to be hospitalised, I think that was gentamycin oddly enough!

Lizzie said:
I don't have the knowledge that you have, Jane, but I wondered whether it was a proprietary name for something which contained gentamycin - would seem logical to treat such a lesion with antibiotics. :D Many years ago, my brother had a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic and had to be hospitalised, I think that was gentamycin oddly enough!
If Bluebunny has a read of the label on the eye/ear drops bottle it will list Gentamicin as one of the ingredients :D . Gentamicin is the generic name, Genticin and others are brand names given by the manufacturer!! Bit like Ibuprofen is sold as 'Nurofen'...same drug you just pay more for the brand name!! :roll: :roll: :wink: Jane and Bunsxx

How long should it take to work? he has been having it on every day for a week today but its still got puss there

Hiya. You need to take Alfie back to the vets. I am assuming Alfie is a bunster not a piggie..?? Also that his abscess origionates from a tooth root problem that has penetrated the bone...?? If Alfie IS a bunster (I know very little about piggies!!) then your Vet may want to give him penicillin injections as well. It is extremely difficult to 'cure' a dental abscess once the bone has become involved and it may be that you will just have to try to contain the situation rather than cure it. Are you flushing the abscess cavity out 2-3 times a day?? I would get an appointment with the vet on Monday to discuss additional treatment. Jane and Bunsxx

Yes Alfie is a rabbit! He has a lump under his chin,well a boney lump there is a tiny hole in the middle that is where the puss comes out no body said anything about flushing it out?,when i give him his drops i pull the scab off and puss comes out,only a tiny bit though,he had has this for a while as far as i know,but i dont know the reason why he has it?

Back