• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

I've just been checking my rex over when I discovered red patches on his hocks(hard skin). I've never noticed these before because the hair covers the whole of the base of the foot. I only checked his hocks closely after people on here saying their rexs suffered from sore hocks, I wouldn't normally have noticed anything wrong because the fur on his feet is really thick but I made a point of parting the fur and having a look. I feel really guilty now because I wouldn't have looked if I hadn't have read the threads :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: , they don't seem to be causing him pain the skin just looks hard, does anyone else use cream etc? :(

I dont use anything on mine and claudes are really bad!
the trouble is if you put creams etc on it softens the feet and can make matters worse

bluebunny said:
I dont use anything on mine and claudes are really bad!
the trouble is if you put creams etc on it softens the feet and can make matters worse
I did wonder if cream made them worse, they aren't really bad you can't see it unless you part the fur, but I know now that it could become a problem. What ground is your run on? Mine are on concrete all year round, partly to do with my female digging to Australia and the grass becoming a bog when it's wet!

They have vet bed in there pen all the time,they only go outside in the summer and yes i take the vet bed out when its not in use,yes vet bed is washable i have loads of the stuff!

Even my Dutchies suffered from this condition a bit earlier in the year! :shock: They are not so bad now. Bailey also had it a bit and I used to rub a bit of calendula cream into his and it did seem to improve it but maybe this would not be such a good idea for a Rex as their skin is so thin. I would cover the fur back over the baldy bit like a Bobby Charlton hairstyle!!! :lol:

Squidgy had sore hocks (the vet said due to running around on carpet). He now has a cotton throw as 'his patch' when he's out of the hutch and pet blankets for inside the hutch :roll: He's an inside bun, by the way.

My rabbits always have a thick layer of hay in their hutch and shavings in their litter trays, this should be enough to cushion his feet shouldn't it?

Crumbs! I would have said so. It is hard to understand why they are prone to this condition - Jason told me to keep an eye on it and it's not too bad as long as the sore bits don't become ulcerated.

Pippa suffers from sore hocks, I checked her over yesterday and they look quite red. I was wondering if anybody had bandaged the feet before? I'm gonna take her to the vets next week anyway as she is looking rather old at the mo + bit wobbly (though now I am wondering if this is her feet hurting??). I don't think she would try to chew the bandages off as she is a very laid back bun. She has vet bed and thick layer of bedding but unfortunately she still gets them, as can't cover everywhere with vet bed!

Nicola

Yeah I was thinking of getting some non-stick gauze, then cotton wool then the sticky bandage on top if the vet thinks it might worl. I can bandage a dogs foot so I'm sure a buns will be OK :)

Back