• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chinchilla

sgprescue

Mama Doe
The RSPCA just brought this big chap too me. His previous owner hadnt been looking after him properly. He had been fed on mostly sunflower seeds :tapeshut: . He is a bit overweight at the moment (but the new diet should hopefully sort that out) and has quite greasy, matted fur. I will book him in to be neutered shortly and then he will hopefully be up for adoption soon after that. He has ripped ears so has opviously been in the wars in the past. He is friendly and was happy for me to pick him up.

chinchilla1.jpg

chinchilla2.jpg

Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue

I WOULD SO LOVE TO HAVE A CHIN but i havent got any more room in the house and they cant go outside can they?

shantel said:
I think they live for 20 years?
Blimey do they :shock: Hope the people who buy the ones I saw in PAH on Tuesday realise what a long commitment they will be taking on :? :? :roll: :roll: ......!! Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
shantel said:
I think they live for 20 years?
Blimey do they :shock: Hope the people who buy the ones I saw in PAH on Tuesday realise what a long commitment they will be taking on :? :? :roll: :roll: ......!! Jane and Bunsxx

Hmmmm makes you wonder doesn't it when you see so many looking for homes.... :( certainly not a pet for a child that's for sure!!! (Not that I agree any pet is good for a child of course!)

I have actually been reading up about chinchillas over the past couple of days. I have to say, I am strongly thinking about one or two :roll: but I need to find out more first before I decide :D

bunnylove said:
I WOULD SO LOVE TO HAVE A CHIN but i havent got any more room in the house and they cant go outside can they?[/quote

I was told the other day they can live outdoors and prefere it outside!

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
I WOULD SO LOVE TO HAVE A CHIN but i havent got any more room in the house and they cant go outside can they?[/quote

i would love one but with the dust from the sand i would assume they would cause me problems as i am allergic to the birds i have in doors so i am not gonna get anymore animals indoors because of my allergys, but when i was looking into the i got on the chinchilla forum and started asking questions as my hubby was gonna let me get two rescues, and they said if you put them in a shed then it would have to have electric and insultated and dehumidaifiers and others stuff, a bit too expensive for me to set up with all the buns i have and they will always be my first love so if i was gonna spend all that money sttings a couple of chims up i could spend it on several more bunnys, so thats what i did! :D :D :D

but if someone can tell me different i would love to have some!

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
I WOULD SO LOVE TO HAVE A CHIN but i havent got any more room in the house and they cant go outside can they?

Although they can deal with cold temperatures (they originate in the Andes), their fur cannot tolerate humidity, so typical rainy English weather would be no good and the chinchillas would be prone to health problems, especially ringworm (a fungal infection) if the fur is getting damp and the environment is humid.
They are also very prone to overheating - max. temp they should be in is about 25 celcius at the most, if they overheat they can have fits and get seriously poorly.
They definately need to be kept indoors where you can control the temperature and humidity. Plus I'd hate to think where they'd get to if they escaped an outdoor cage - they're even quicker than bunnies, and can climb too!

Karly said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:

Although they can deal with cold temperatures (they originate in the Andes), their fur cannot tolerate humidity, so typical rainy English weather would be no good and the chinchillas would be prone to health problems, especially ringworm (a fungal infection) if the fur is getting damp and the environment is humid.
They are also very prone to overheating - max. temp they should be in is about 25 celcius at the most, if they overheat they can have fits and get seriously poorly.
They definately need to be kept indoors where you can control the temperature and humidity. Plus I'd hate to think where they'd get to if they escaped an outdoor cage - they're even quicker than bunnies, and can climb too!

arh well thats me out then!

Back