• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older bunny care

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hiya

Just wondered what some of you do for your older buns that you don't necessarily do for your youngsters? Pippa is 6 and a half and I'm bit worried as she is def showing signs of getting old! She seems bit wobbly sometimes + can't jump up onto the wall like she used to, I'm guessing it is because of the cold weather too and her joints aren't as brill as they used to be.

I give her a Snugglesafe heatpad every night and she has lots of bedding, also make sure I don't let her out when it is too damp as she is also snuffly. I'm trying to think of any other ways to make sure she is warm + cosy and her joints are OK, do any of you give supplements or anything like that? Any ideas would be most appreciated! She is such a fussy duck with her food too, I thought she had started eating Excel last week but no, it was just a phase! :lol: She has oats most nights which she loves.

I think I'm gonna take her to the vet next week if she still looks bit wobbly, I'm sure it is just her age + the weather but wanna be certain! She has also stopped using her litter tray + started going to the toilet upstairs, I'm presuming this is because it's just too chilly to get outta bed!!

Saying all this she has been up and down her ladder this morning and looking very interested in everything, when for the past few days she has been sitting upstairs most of the time. Bunnies, don't they worry you!!

Nicola

I have made a few enqiries via the RWA re the use of Vegetarian Glucosomine for elderly arthtitic buns.Apparently it is being used and seems to be of benefit. The only side effect, and only in some buns, appears to be lose poos. I haven't used it yet as my elderly buns are doin' OK at the mo'. They are all indoor buns....not sure if this helps during the cold/damp weather...??? The other thing I find with the oldies is that they are less able to groom themselves so well. So I pay particular attention to brushing/combing their lose fur out and I also bathe their eyes with boiled then cooled water. The fact that Pippa is not always leaving her bed area to wee may mean she is prone to urine scald if she sits in any damp bedding overnight. Perhaps using Vetbed or towels in her bed area as it will absorb wee better. If you notice she is getting sore around her 'girlie bits' or on her tum you could use some Vaseline on the affected areas. It provides a barrier from the wee. When elderly buns get wobbly back legs they often find it difficult to cope with hay/straw as bedding as it tends to get all tangled around their back legs. Although it doesn't sound as though Pippa is that wobbly yet. Hope she gets on OK at the Vets. Jane and Bunsxx

Thanks Jane. Unfortunately not able to have her inside although I would love to!! I'm thinking about moving her hutch into the garage although it's a big double decker with a run, not sure it would fit! And she also likes to sit outside on nice days so don't wanna make her miserable! Decisions!

I will talk to my vet about the Glucosamine (best write everything down, I have a long list! :lol: )

Just yesterday, before I posted, I changed her bedding area from hay + straw to Vetbed as she wasn't using it, but now she loves it! (Thank goodness as she was sitting in the wire-part and I was worried she was getting cold!). She has decided that pooping + weeing on the Vetbed is a good bet, but as you say it will absorb it so shouldn't be any risk of urine scald.

I groom her regularly too, but will start bathing her eyes more regularly (oh will I be popular! :lol: ).

Thanks for your help :D

Nicola

No worries :D !! I really love your Pippa!! She is gettin' on in years so can be excused the loss of reliability as to where she wees!! The Vetbed will be just great for her!! My old Rex Jack loves to snuggle into his......and his girlfriend Maggie :roll: :roll: !! As buns get older their needs do change but they are so rewarding to care for. Pippa obviously has a lovely home. She is one GORGEOUS bunster!! :D :D Jane and Bunsxx

Ah you are so kind! Yes her needs are changing, I'm trying my best to find out everything and care for her the best I can. My last oldest bunny was Amber, she was 6 years old when she was PTS but she didn't behave like an old bunny!!

Pippaloves her Vetbed too, she is snuggling into it as we speak and also has her Snugglesafe under it! It's brand new too so still very fluffy!! Luckily I brought 3 new bits at Discover Dogs :) I don't mind where she goes to the toilet, just don't want her to be uncomfy or wet!!

I had a rather bizarre idea a minute ago - a woolly jumper 4 her (or similar idea :))! But I don't know if she would wear it or whether it is practical! It's just that obviously being a Rex her fur is pretty thin anyway, but as she is getting older it's getting even thinner!! How old is your Rex? Does he have any specific problems?

I'd love to get her a boyfriend, although she isn't spayed, a neutered male would be fine. Perhaps an oldie will come into work .... :) Just trying to convince Mother though as well, and Pippa is a little set in her ways!!

I do love my Pippa, she is a very special bunny!

Nicola

Lucky Pippa all warm with her snugglesafe!! Jack was 7 on 1st December. He lost his brother Ronan to a Fox IN MY HOUSE :shock: :shock: last year and he was so traumatised I thought I'd lose him too :cry: :cry: Thankfully I managed to bond him with Maggie...she worships him and follows him EVERY-WHERE :roll: :roll: Pippa sounds very content as she is and as you say she is set in her ways (I'm with her on that one :thumb: ) she might find another bun an intrusion :? :? S'pose you wont know 'til you try. Night, night snuggles to the lovely Pippa-bun!! :D :D Jane and Bunsxx

Back