• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie isn't eating his pellets...- HIS POO IS FUNNY NOW!!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
you lot sick of me yet :lol: :lol:

Alfie has not been eating his pellets but has been eating veg/fruit and hay - the vet said he has lost a small bit of weight which i suppose is understandable.

Should i be concerened about this??? i am giving him his own poo to eat too because of the funnel he can't get to them himself!! (gross i know)

Also.....

when he has his stitches out (tuesday) the vet said i can taker the collar off. is there anyway he is likely to nibble where his stitches are i do not want anything to go wrong..???

One more thins - how do vets take the stitches out??? when they are awake?

sorry for the questions.

janice...if you read this post i did PM you but just to check you got it i want to say thanks for the tablets...he ate it in one gulp!!!

Bonnie

UPDATE: My brother said Alfie's poo is funny, really small soft pellets all stuck together, is this anything to be worried about or just a result of the antibiotics?? or is it his Cecotroph poo??

Thanks

don't worry about the pellets, he will probably just be off them for a few days. You could try mushing them up with warm water, he might eat them then. As long as he is eating something he will be ok without them.
I haven't seen them remove stitches before but Phoebe had metal staples in her tummy after her spay op and they just took them out in about 30 seconds and she didn't even flinch :shock:

I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is eating plenty of other things. Maybe he finds it easier to get hold of the other things with his little funnel on. Do you think you could take his collar off for short VERY supervised periods to try and encourage him to eat a bit more, or would you rather not, given the naughty boy's chewing!

I'd have thought it would have healed over well enough for it not to really matter if he tries to have a nibble next week, but just keep an eye on him to be on the safe side. Any irritation/strange sensation should also have calmed down by then so I'd have thought he is less likely to chew.

Taking the stitches out literally takes seconds, yes it's done when they are awake, it doesn't seem to bother them.

Re: Alfie isn't eating his pellets...

Alfie kennedy said:
you lot sick of me yet :lol: :lol:

Alfie has not been eating his pellets but has been eating veg/fruit and hay - the vet said he has lost a small bit of weight which i suppose is understandable.

Should i be concerened about this??? i am giving him his own poo to eat too because of the funnel he can't get to them himself!! (gross i know)

Also.....

when he has his stitches out (tuesday) the vet said i can taker the collar off. is there anyway he is likely to nibble where his stitches are i do not want anything to go wrong..???

One more thins - how do vets take the stitches out??? when they are awake?

sorry for the questions.

janice...if you read this post i did PM you but just to check you got it i want to say thanks for the tablets...he ate it in one gulp!!!

Bonnie

The answer to you question are we sick of you yet is NO

Hi I cant answer all you questions, But as for the stitches they take the stitches out while they are awake,( i had to hold Barney) just with a sharp hooked blade doese'nt hurt them Barney didnt even flinch.

As with the eating as long as he is eating something at the moment he should be ok I was told to give Barney his Fav things.

Hope this helps

Alli and Barney :bunny:

The answer to you question are we sick of you yet is NO

Thank god for that - thanks Ali..glad barney is ok!

Thanks Estelle. maybe i'll try mushing them up!

Hi Alison. i was very tempted to take his funnel of so he could have a good groom, but then it would make me feel even more guilty putting it back on again after he has had it off! i may take it off on Sunday or something for a while as he will be having stitches out Tuesday evening (can't bloody wait!)

I think takign his stitches out might be a nightmare as he does not let you look at them without a flight! glad its quick though!

I have never wanted the weekend to go quickly but this weekend i do just to get to Tuesday quicker :lol:

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE YOU ARE ALL STARS :thumb:

Hi, alfie. I can answer a question about stitches, as I've had them. They itch like hell until you get them out, but unless there's infection, the stitches don't stick to anything and you can hardly feel a thing when they take them out. :D

greydaze said:
Hi, alfie. I can answer a question about stitches, as I've had them. They itch like **** until you get them out, but unless there's infection, the stitches don't stick to anything and you can hardly feel a thing when they take them out. :D

I can vouch for the itching while they are healing as iv'e got them in my head again :( :(

Ali and Barney

UPDATE: My brother said Alfie's poo is funny, really small soft pellets all stuck together, is this anything to be worried about or just a result of the antibiotics?? or is it his Cecotroph poo??

Most days Barney has a poo that looks like that, next time he poo's its normal, so maybe nothing to worry about!! :roll:

Ali and Barney

My Bunny Smokey

:p

Hi everyone im new to this so forgive me if it takes a while for me to reply... hehehe

i got my rabbit in August this year, he was born in June and he is a Male dwarf lop eared bunny called smokey !

He loves people now, as he is an indoor rabbit, he is used to people and runs up and says hello etc.. lets us cuddle him whioole he is stretched out watching telly...

But... he will not for the love of god, let me pick him up!!!

He gets scared, panics and jumps out my arms or my lap.. can anyone think of anything than can help calm him down and let him trust me to pick him up ?!

He has been neutered aswell so he should be as chilledas a pill !! hehe
Sara

Most bunnies don't like being picked up, it's their old prey animal instinct see.
I have a hard time catching either of my buns but both seem happy to be cuddled once I get them and hold them firmly close to me. Marlon will only stay for a short time though, he's a very independently minded bunny and would much rather be off causing trouble somewhere.

the soft poos all stuck together are the ceacotroph poops.. these are the ones that you need to give him to eat. :wink:

Hi, sorry to hear your bun's abit poorly! Could you trim the bottom part of his collar so it's easier for him to get at his food but still cant reach his injury to chew at the stiches?

Back