• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying? Good or bad?

kkliskey

New Kit
Is spaying really necessary? Everywhere i have read says that it is the best thing for girl bunnies if you do not want to breed, but yesterday, some friends told me that they have never had their bunnies spayed and that it shouldn't make a difference to their temperement etc. what does everyone here think? also, my vet has told me that they don't recomend bunny spaying due to the risk of the operation. Does this mean that they are just not experienced with bunny medicine or is it really that risky?

cheers! I think i'll see how they go - they're only 12 weeks old at the mo so i guess i don't need to make a decision just yet. I guess i'll need to investigate more into finding a good bunny vet. Anyone know of any in the oxfordshire area?

Hi! spaying really calmed my little girl down. She was a lovely little angel until she reached about 6 months old then she went crazy! just ripping up my carpits, bed and everything else to make nests!. she used to build nests in my bed then pull the cover over to hide it! :shock: it was a bit of a shock to get home from work ready for bed to find a whole load of chewed up sheets and fur in my bed :) she did this every couple of weeks and also chased Bilbo round trying to mount him!. He was too old to be bothered with such behaviour and really didn't like it. she also seemed stressed at this time. As soon as she was spayed she calmed down, put on a healthy amount of weight, stopped pooping all over the house and was a lot hairyer as she wasn't pulling her fur out all the time :) and bilbo had a nice quiet life!.

The 80% risk of cancer and repeated false pregnancies far outweighs the risks in my opinion.

I would always spay my females

Thanks everyone - i think i will probably get them done! Just need to find a good vet now :D How old do they have to be before they can have the op? And as i have two sisters, should they both be done together or separately?

My Bluebell was a little demon before she was spayed. She constantly attacked my hand when I tried to take out her food dish, and was always grumpy.

Now, after being spayed, she is wonderful, very very friendly, and she is also bonded with Cheeky, a wonderful neutered male. Without the spaying she would have had to live on her own for ever.

Jane

They have to be 6 months old to be spayed. I would get them both done at the same time so you only have to worry once!
Both my females are spayed. Make sure you ask the vet if they are given painkillers afterwards and if they use internal stitches or glue. External stitches are usually pulled out and are not recommended.

If you get them done together, they can recover together and they can keep the bond they have with each other.

Someone on here may be able to recomend a good vet who is rabbit experienced.

Janice

Roxy is going to be spayed in January.
The vet explained that it would lower the risk of cancer and would stop her getting pregnant if we were to get a male bunny for her.
I don't like the thought of her having the operation but if it prevents her from getting very ill then it's worth it.

I was really scared to put Gypsy through the operation too, but it was worth it in the end. It has calmed her down and also she won't get uterine cancer now.
Now I have to face getting my little boy Storm neutered in the new year. I'm really worried about putting him through it, but at the moment he's spraying everything ( including me and Gypsy!) with pee! :lol:

Back