• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dante - My Broken Caster Rex - In Constant Moult!

Can any Rex owners please advise?

My Broken Castor Rex; Dante, seems to be stuck in a constant moult :( . I've taken him to the vets and he's being tested for Ring Worm! What this has to do with his coat - I'm not actually sure :? .

None of my other Rex rabbits have this problem :p . Any ideas?

Carol

Blimely! My Thomas is in major moult too, I thought it was due to our heating..... How did your vet come up with ringworm?

Christine

One of my rexes claude moulted constant for 5 months he looked so scruffy!
Then suddely he just stopped!

Dante - Broken Castor Rex

Hi there,

The vet thought Dante may have Ring Worm, because he was also testing my other Rex for both Ring Worm and Cushions Disease. He turned the light off in the surgery and then shone this strange "blue light" object on to their coats which showed up patches under their skin!

He's taken samples from their skin and sent it off to be tested. Dante looks so scruffy!

Currently I have Bounty (my white Ermine Rex) with a Pasteurella Abscess - so his face doesn't look too great! My Fawn Rex: Billy has very bad Pasteurella and is 99% bald! and Dante seems to be in constant moult! I often worry that someone is going to walk past my garden, see my rabbits and think I am mistreating or neglecting my rabbits because of the way they look! When it couldn't be further from the truth!

Carol

Aww, I heard of people giving their buns some extra vitamins when they're having a heavy moult as it's rumoured that speeds it up. Ringworm is very contagious so if one of your bunnies has it the other might.

The weather switching from warm to cold wouldn't be helping... poor bunnies don't know which coat to keep on :)

Tam

Dante

Hi Tam

I really hope it is just a heavy moult. I will certainly try the extra vitamins and hope that this does the trick.

I don't want to tempt fate, but my other rabbits; Charlie, Dillan, Scout, Louis, Nico and Bambi all seem to be fine, happy bunnies.

They've all had all their jabs and at the slightest sign of something wrong, I take them to the vets.

I just can't wait to get the results back from the vet to see if they show anything conclusive.

Carol

one of my mini rex was in a moult for 9 months :shock:
the contants change in weather/temp isnt helping at all this year

becky

Debilitated rabbits (ie those with a chronic condition such as Pasteurellosis) are often lacking in essential amino acids such as those found in legumes.Rabbits have a nutritional requirement for essential amino acids despite amino acid synthesis in the caecum. A lack of these amino acids can result in alopicea (baldness). Another factor to consider in a prolonged moult is psychological stress :? :? . Has he/she recently been neutered....?? This can cause a prolonged moult that on rare occassions results in a bald bun :shock: :shock:. Ringworm is highly contageous so I some-how doudt that can be the cause... :? :? Jane and Bunsxx

If hes one of other rabbits and they have moulted ok then it makes you wonder if hes under the weather, stress will play havoc. Saying that a lot of mine havent moulted properly all year thanks to the changing weather :? . Once your sure hes ok then you could try him on a clove of garlic in hi water, this heats the blood and will get him to go into moult. You leave the garlic in the water for a week [ keep topping it up] val

Rex rabbits can be a bit funny anyway - they often have "broken" patches in their coat once they are a year or two old which never go away. The difference in colour/texture is very subtle and not always clearly visible. This is nothing to worry about - the Rex coat is very delicate and easily altered by slight environmental changes during moult which can then result in these permanent "moulty" patches.

However, ring worm is a highly contagious fungal infection, and if your buns do have it the chances are that you will get it too. It appears as a slightly itchy, red, raised area of skin and it usually forms ring shapes or circles - henc the name ringworm. It is relatively easy to treat though, so don't worry too much :wink:

Back