• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

IS THIS NORMAL? PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY ADVISE?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Please can somebody advise me.

I am considering adopting a bunny to keep my girly bun company.

I've fallen in love with a bunny at a rescue/rabbit boarding place. He was in a shed full of hutches. I checked his eyes and they were clean and bright. His feet looked fine, not matted. He rolled over on his back for cuddles like a baby and I could see into his nostrils. They were very very slightly watery, hardly anything, is this healthy? There wasn't any discharge. I suppose it was because he was laying on his back I could see right into his lil nostrils and they were just very slightly wet. Is this normal?

The place I visited say they are a rescue, but they also breed rabbits. I have already been back there 3 times but haven't committed myself to buying him yet as I want to be sure he's healthy. He is such a darling and I would like to offer him a home where he can breathe fresh air and have lots of freedom as he doesn't have this where he is at the moment. He certainly didn't want to go back into his hutch before I left.

I would love to offer him a home but want to be sure he is healthy as I would hate for my other bunny to catch anything from him.

Please can anyone advise me?

Nicola x

The slight dribble from his nose may be a reaction to being closed in or it could be the amonia smell from wee making it water. it doesn't sound like it's anything serious though. You could alway asked them if you could take him for a vet check if they are a rescue they will either do this for you or it will already have been done XXX

To tell you the truth the place I visited was advertised as a 'rescue' on another website. A few weeks ago I was trying to find places for some rabbits that were being threatened with being put to sleep, which is how I came about taking on a rabbit. Moffat, as she has now been named was the last rab to be rehomed and nobody wanted her...she is such a sweetie.

I was told of this 'rescue' and phoned the RSPCA as the 'rescue' in question had offered to take all the females. When I spoke to the lady who worked for the RSPCA she would not let the rabbits go to this
'rescue' as she said that they bred rabbits and supplied pet shops. I decided to pay the 'rescue' a visit on my day off.

The place was bursting with rabbits. I think they had about 300. There was a huge shed stacked with hutches. It took me forever to look at all the rabs. When I thought I had seen them all I noticed there was another door leading to another huge shed full of rabs.

I tried not to fall for any of the buns but inevitably I spotted one. As soon as I approached his hutch he circled his food bowl in excitement. I took him out for a cuddle and gave him an inspection which is when I noticed his wet nostrils. Just slightly watery inside his nose, no yucky discharge, just v slightly wet like water.

None of the rabs have been neutered or vaccinated. I would really like to whisk him off for a life where he can have some freedom and nibble grass and breathe in fresh air but I want to make sure he's healthy.

The chap I spoke to said that that particular bunny had been there for quite a long time and I could have him at a discount.....poor little bunster. I want to go and get him now.......

If I do get him I will have to get him neutered myself and get him vaccinated.

I don't know what to do.......

Nic x

Nicola, if i were you i would get him! But then again im utterly nuts! If you have really fallen for him then go for it as you say he can have a better life with you than were he is!

I really want to...........

But I would hate for my other bun to catch anything........

Do you think that him having slightly wet nostrils could be down to the fact he is stuck in a hutch with not much air circulating?

....Oh I don't know what to do.

I already have two wild buns- male and female that can't be released due to injury. They have their own luxury suite together. They are both vaccinated. Then I took the new girly on from the RSPCA as nobody wanted her. I have thought about getting her a companion and now i've fallen for this little boy. He's got the cutest fat face and is extremely cuddly but I would hate for the girly to catch anything.......

What do you think?

Nic

xxxxxxx

The dribbly nose may well just be that fact that he doesn't get much fresh air, you would obviously need to have your vet check him over to make sure he didn't have anything but Nicola i reckon you should just get him! Even if you discover he does have something and you need to find him another home his life at least has got to bet better than it is now XXX

Alfies nostrails look slightly wet sometimes,but he has had a full mot had his teeth done and they cant find anything else wrong with him!
Id take him keep him seperate from your girly till he has had a vet check

I'm seriously considering it.........

I've already bin to the place three times and walked away saying 'I'll think about it'..... I feel rotten leaving him behind....

I'm just bein over cautious as I would hate for my other buns to catch anything.

Nicxxxxxxxxxxxx

Look, go get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Seriously, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself. You seem to have your heart set on him.

Why not keep him seperate when you first get him if you're that worried and just take him to your own vet ASAP?

Please go get him.. he sounds lovely and that place doesn't!

I know.......he is gorge.........!

I won't be able to get 'im until the weekend cos I'm at work.

The place is supposed to be a rescue but they also breed rabbits. There were so many rabbits everywhere I couldn't believe my eyes. I have honestly never seen so many rabbits in one place.

The bunster I fell for has been there for quite a while so they said I could have him at a discount. The last time I went there they had several litters of baby bunnies.

Many of the bunnies looked really miserable....I felt so sorry for them. There was no daylight coming in and the hutches were stacked high.

The bun I've fallen fors teeth are yellow. In fact all the buns I looked at teeth were yellow.

I spose I'm being extra cautious as I love my other buns dearly and would hate to pass anything onto them. But as I said I only noticed the tiniest wetness on his nostrils, just like water and that was because I was peering straight down his nostrils.

Nicola xxxxxxxxxxx

Ask yourself - how would you feel if you went there tomorrow and found that he had been rehomed. Would you be extremely upset and disappointed that you have missed out on him or would you be happy that he is now out and has a home.
Once you answer that you will know your decision......

I would be happy that he had escaped from that place, but he's already bin there for 6 months, maybe more.

If I knew for sure he was healthy I would go straight out n get him because he's adorable. I'm just trying not to be too impulsive and be sensible...not my strongest point!!!

After all I have to think of my other babies...... and I would be getting him to keep my girly company.

It's just the nose thing...Am I being over cautious?

Nic xxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. I'll be leaving work in a mo and won't be able to respond to anyone until Monday as I'm off tomorrow. I only have access to internet at work. Any advice is appreciated, X

Nicola3 said:
You are sooooooooooooo naughty!

Nicola xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I Know i am but im right! And if you have tommorow off then you could get him and have the vet check him on friday!

Hmmmmmm.....you are very naughty!!!!!

I forgot I had the day off...... Only thing is, I don't drive and am supposed to be seein my mum 2moro. Unless, I can convince her to take me out there. Otherwise will have to wait til Sat to get a lift out there.

Am still dithering.......

Nicola xxxxx

Nicola3 said:
Hmmmmmm.....you are very naughty!!!!!

I forgot I had the day off...... Only thing is, I don't drive and am supposed to be seein my mum 2moro. Unless, I can convince her to take me out there. Otherwise will have to wait til Sat to get a lift out there.

Am still dithering.......

Nicola xxxxx

JUST GO GET HIM!!! CONVINCE MUM TO TAKE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Awwww! Is there no way you could get a vet to check him over or bring a friend or someone with you who is clued up on what they would be looking for with the nose thing? :? :?

I can see where you ae coming from though... but I kinda think you should get him too!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know anyone...apart from my Vet . But I can't see her coming out with me...

I have to take my wild bun to the Vets tonight to have his dental check up so I will ask her for some advice.

Nic xxxxxxx

Back