• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ooh Tommy's having THE op on Friday...(sorry boys!)

jayned

Young Bun
well after having a chat with a couple of recue centres, you lot on here and a lovely lady at the Rabbit Welfare, I have decided to get Tommy Bun done :D

We really want him to have a laydee friend, so he's not lonely. Even though I work from home and I go and sit in his shed with him several times a day, he's not a housebun and therefore doesn't have all the attention he needs.

He is going in at 8.20 Friday morning (my birthday!)

We won't be getting him a friend till the New Year, so he should be ok by then ...I think it's 6 weeks isn't it before you can put him with a doe?

No doubt I will be posting on Friday about his progress.

I hope he doesn't end up hating me :cry:

My bunny got done last Friday - he was absolutely fine until he pulled his stitches out!!! just watch out for that! he will be much happire with a lady friend!

oh I do hope he's ok.
am worried because we thik he's about 5-ish

But vet last week said he was healthy :D

hey jayne

my little atom is going in on friday too!

fingers crossed they behave slightly better than alfie and his stictches.

is there anyone else having the op on friday?

aww good luck to Atom too then!

we shall have to compare notes and pulled stitches!! :lol:

for some strange reason, my husband doesn't really want to talk about Tommy's op!! :lol: :wink:

i'll beck checking the forum to find out how tommy is getting on!

it was hubby that booked atom in for the op so not sure what to say about that :shock:

Right now I know this is contraversial but both mine pulled out stitches. Dylan was so bad his stomach swelled up so badly it reached the floor and he ended up back in hospital for two nights, and very sore and on antibiotics for two weeks and gel for his sore bits. They couldnt restitch due to the mess he caused to himself!!!!!

Id always put a collar on them now after any op. They hate it but get used to it and learn after a night or two to hoover up after themselves plus I fed them their poos too (disgusting I know but I love them).

This is way better than the restitching op and the infection issues.

Alternatively persuade your vet to do thorough internal stitches instead of the external two bits of thread tied type. Good luck

Good luck with the ops! Dudley pulled his stitches out too, by the time of his 3-day check there were none left! But I think they must have glued it as well as it all stayed together and healed fine. We'll all be thinking of you both xxx

hey jayne, just wanted to wish tommy the best of luck for tomorrow.

fingers crossed we can both get some sleep tonight!

will look for news from you two tomorrow

(oh and fingers crossed re stiches!)

I was going to ask the vet if Tommy can have an Elizabethan collar, coz knowing him, he probably would pull his stitches out, if they're external.
:roll:

I know some vets use internal stitches and glue the wound closed, so shall ask about that too.

Thanks desdi and good luck to Atom too.

fingers crossed for our boys

xx

Do keep an eye on him with the collar though, as some bunnies can get extremely depressed and frightened when wearing them (as they can't see around themselves like usual, which is particularly distressing for a prey animal). I'm sure you'll be able to work out by watching him whether it seems better for him to wear the collar or not, but I'd definitely keep him indoors for a couple of days post-op to keep an eye on him anyway - certainly for the first night as he will be cold after his anaesthetic. Good luck little Tommy, hope it goes well xx

Just to wish you luck for tomorrow, hope everything goes ok,

Barney had his op 3 weeks ago, he was fine just a little doppy for a couple of days, no complications, he only had his stitches out on Tuesday,

Good luck will be thinking of you both

Ali abd Barney :love:

Good luck Tommy and Atom! Hobbes was fine after his op, didn't pull his stitches and was running around the same day. Hope all goes well for your bunnies :D

hey jayne.

dropped atom off at 8.30. have been drinking too much coffee ever since.

the nurse was really sweet and gave him a cuddle and now she wants another bun.

hope your little baby is ok. i've got to call around 3.

*tries to find things to distract self*

good luck again, When I took Barney in, it just seems a very long day :love:

P.S. Try and keep busy!!!

Ali and Barney

hi desdi

took Tommy in at 8.15, wondering if we were doing the right thing!

they have my home & mobile numbers and we can pick him up about 4pm!

it's my birthday today as well and me & hubby are supposed to be going out this evening!

I think we still are as my mum & dad have offered to bunny sit for Tommy!! We have brought his old hutch into the living room, for tonight.

Let me know how your little one is when you pick him up!! :D

aaaawwww very best of British..I am sure everything will go well.
Please keep us posted.
Best wishes
Adele

Back