• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

will things get worse

deb

Young Bun
My two brothers that are kept together (malfoy and dandie) are now 4 months old and at that age!!!!!! if you know what i mean. When they are out in the enclosure, there is a lot of chasing and mounting, there is plenty of room to avoid each other, but when they are in there hutch the odd fight happens, not to bad and nobody has been hurt, but i need to know if things could get worse, i dont want to seperate them but i dont want to go in one morn and find one really hurt. Things arent help by the fact there spayed mother is in a hutch in the enclosure, its just the right high for them to see her which really gets them going!!!!! so ive had to cover the hutch when they are out, but they can still smell her.
deb

Are they neutered? Can you not take the mothers hutch out of the enclosure while they are playing?
Rabbits can be quite vicious once they start fighting so just be careful. I am not trying to scare you or anything but my Vet as had an icident where a male bun as actually castrated another bun. (this is obviously a worse case scenario).
Hope you manage to get them sorted, it is probably just a battle for top bun.
kayxx

There bits have not droped fully so i cant get them done yet, mothers hutch is two big to move out. They all share the enclosure thats mum 2 brothers and one more brother (not at the same time) and they all leave there scent the males spaying everywhere, but this is the only area ive got so its this or shut in hutches all day. This time of year the grass is to wet, i did manage to put mum out on the grass yesterday but now ive got another problem --a seagull he has been attacking her through the wire on the run so i had to bring her in.
deb

Are you sure their bits haven't fully dropped? 4 months is quite old.
I'm sure they are ready to be done.
Make sure you take them in together and that they are put in the same recovery kennel at the vet - boy pairings are dicey at the best of times so give them as little opportunity of losing their bond as possible.
Please don't delay as if they start to fight seriously they can cause horrific injuries on each other (believe me, I've seen it) and they would be virtually impossible to re-introde if they have started serious fighting.

To be honest, I wouldn't advise putting them in the same kennel to recover, even if this will make their bonding more risky. It is exceedingly important that rabbits eat after having a GA. Some will develop anorexia, and any rabbit not eating after a GA will start to suffer from hypoglycemia very soon. This can be fatal, so any rabbit not eating needs to be syringe fed. For this reason they should be kept seperately, as it is much harder to moniter if an animal is eating if it is sharing accommodation. Vet nurses do their best, but there are those days where everything seems to happen at once and things are easily overlooked.

Instead I would advise that you get them back together asap after the anaesthetic and have them recover seperately.

If you really desperately want them to stay together then you will need to explain to the vet that you understand that they must eat and you must take on the responsibility for this yourself and have some Recovery liquid feed or something similar to hand, just in case.

i,ve got brothers bailey and gizmo . all was great , they got neutered in oct at 4 months old and then the fighting started . I,m afraid to say from what you are saying that they may well cause injury to each other. I,ve had to seperate bailey and gizzy as they really do go for it when they fight . They are ok if i,m there and they are in neutral territory but look out if I turn my back .
I don,t think they will ever get on now as its 2 months since they got done and they still want to fight. They are now in the bedroom and have a large bit each with a wire fence down the middle so they can still see and touch each other but can,t fight .
I,m gutted but I may try them together again in a month or two and see what happens .
getting your pair neutered tho would be a good idea as just because my pair still fight does not mean your pair will .
Good luck .

xx

Male buns can actually suck in their testicles so this may have you thinking that they haven't dropped, (they can be little monkey's). If you are not sure then take them to your vet and ask their advice. I have 2 male buns that come to me for their hols and they have both been castrated and they get on brilliantly, so don't lose hope.

I have two brothers and they have been together since they were born! They started having little scraps at 6 months so i had them done and now they live with two girls and are still fine XX It can work but you need to get them Neutered and it can go pair shaped!

Back