• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hand feeding rabbits

Quinn

Mama Doe
Hi, ive just been thinking about this, i hold veggies while quinn takes them from me but if you have something smaller say a rasin how do you feed them, can you put it in the palm of your hand without getting bitten?

hi

they can't see what's just under their nose - it's their blind spot - so if they were really excited and could smell it, you might accidentally get teeth on your skin, but they wouldn't bite down I don't think :)

Cygnus has bitten me before while I was hand feeding him, but it was a total accident. Keiser though, refuses to eat ANYTHING out of my hand. He will take it out of my fingers, and chuck it to the side. Doesn't matter if it's his favorite treat or not, he has to take it away from me, chuck it, THEN eat it....lol

I've never been bitten whilst hand feeding, but I read somewhere that you should keep your hand and fingers flat,a s they may accidentally bite a thumb if it's stuck up :shock: :lol: Just like Elve says, they can't see.

Thanks for the info guys, guess its the same as people say with dogs and horses then, keep the fingers well out of the way.

Quinn has never bitten me yet and touch wood wont! he's only scratched all up my arm which was my fault for taking my jumper off lol

I feed Mango and Chutney raisins, even teeny tiny ones, in just the same way (between my fingers and thumb). Sometimes they misjudge it a bit and I feel their teeth catch my thumb, but you can tell it's just an accident and they've never hurt or tried to bite it.

But then, Mango and Chutney are their mommy's little angels :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, I'd do it the same way - fingers and thumb. I guess it depends on your bunny though - if they are abit hyper it could be more risky ;)

Tam

The only one of my 4 who will take from my fingers is Pip and he's got it down to a fine art.......after crunching my finger ages ago thinking it was a bit of carrot :roll:

He gets 2 pellets from my fingers every feedtime - cant give him more cos Polly starts to get cross :roll:

Back