• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too old to bond?

jayned

Young Bun
Tommy is about 4, though may be 5...he was next doors bun!

He has been with us for a month or so and we would like to get him a laydee friend :D

I rang up a rescue for advice on adoption, and was told that bonding wouldn't work as Tommy was too old :shock:

Is that right? We were thinking of getting a doe that was about 3 years old

I've recently bonded my 3year old neutered male rabbit with a young female with no problems at all. He has always been, however, a very placid rabbit and he tends to sit and watch her antics with a somewhat amused expression on his face as though to say 'youngsters'!! :lol: :lol:
Jane

hi

I think you should try a different rescue - I'm sure most of the ones on here would disagree with your rescue's opinion! :)

i agree with trying another rescue! also ask about taking tommy to visit so he can take a look and see if there are any particular laydees that meet his eye.

hi

no he's not been neutered yet...am STILL undecided about that one! I've had a lot of conflicting advice :?

The rescue was from a list on this site! May ring up again and ask to speak to someone else :wink:

We were hoping to take him and let him pick out his own laydee :D

It might be him being unneutered was what they meant. Even at 5yrs he'll still be fertile & be able to produce babies. Even with a neutered female he may pester her too much for them to make friends.

Tam

I think you should try elsewhere as personally I think you were given duff advice :roll:

My first bun Kim was 5 and she bonded with Aggie :D

Mash was 8 when he was bonded with Aggie (after Kim died) and I have recently bonded them both to Bluebelle - Mash is now almost 9 :D

As my bunnnies are all rescue buns I have no idea how old they are - I do know Mash's age cause his history can be traced. For all I know Aggie might be 10 :shock:

it is never to old so go for it and good luck :D

lol Pam

kimbun's mum said:
I think you should try elsewhere as personally I think you were given duff advice :roll:

My first bun Kim was 5 and she bonded with Aggie :D

Mash was 8 when he was bonded with Aggie (after Kim died) and I have recently bonded them both to Bluebelle - Mash is now almost 9 :D

As my bunnnies are all rescue buns I have no idea how old they are - I do know Mash's age cause his history can be traced. For all I know Aggie might be 10 :shock:

it is never to old so go for it and good luck :D

lol Pam

i would agree with tam, as if he is uneutered he would probably pester the life out of a doe and they wouldnt get along because of his will to continuously mount her....... i would look into getting him done before getting him a friend at all!

Eve x

Well I'm currently trying to bond 12 year old Molly with a toyboy :wink: :D he was deballed about 5 weeks ago now. At the mo, they are in the kitchen next to each other (he's in a pen and she's not..) they flop out next to each other through the bars and I think its hopeful, then when I tried them together she tried to bite his little nose :cry: I'm persevering as he is an absolute poppet. Fingers crossed that she will be as smitten as me....................

a toy boy eh? :D

lucky laydee bunster :lol:

well Tommy is going for the op on Friday, so in the New Year, he should have a playmate...fingers crossed

hope it works out for Molly & her 'young man' :lol:

jayned said:
a toy boy eh? :D

lucky laydee bunster :lol:

well Tommy is going for the op on Friday, so in the New Year, he should have a playmate...fingers crossed

hope it works out for Molly & her 'young man' :lol:
He is a real toyboy... a stray so we don't know his exact age but its guestimated at between 6 months to a year :wink: Hope all goes well for Tommy and I'll keep you posted as to how these 2 progress

Back