• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quinn and Hay and food and veg! - Help

Quinn

Mama Doe
Quinn does like his hay, but he doesnt seem to eat that much of it unless for some reason im a bit late with his dinner, at the moment he has a rabbit mix food, which im going to change back to pellets but have loads of the mix left and gradually want to change him back to pellets.

Pets at home said he was between 10 and 12 weeks, helpful i know ! and ive had him 2 weeks so hes now either 12 or 14 weeks old, lots of sites say young rabbits should be able to free feed on pellets but how does that apply to the mixes?

Ive gradually been trying him on different veg but im not sure how much to give him per day?, hes my first rabbit and hamsters that ive had in the past obviously eat a lot less than rabbits so im worried im not giving him enough.

And also i got some alfalfa hay which it says they should only have while young so i need him to eat more of his grass hays..... so the question is should i feed him less mix? because he seems to eat that before his hay so if he always has mix in his bowl he doesnt eat that much of the hay?

Oh and one more question, im trying to get him to use his lttterpan which has in "critter litter" and hay as he seems to use hay as his toilet, but as hes an outdoor rabbit ive been using hay in his bedroom section so will that work or will he just do it everywhere there is hay? - so should i change his bedding to straw or something? he already has a deep layer of woodshavings down

Each rabbit is different with their toilet habits. He will probably chose a corner, be it in the living quarters or his bed section, so then you can move his tray to where he is peeing/pooing. If he is already using his tray then he may just carry on doing so. Mine used to be bedded on hay and would do some in one corner but not all over the place so u might be lucky.
Im not sure about the food question as i cant remember what i fed simba on as a baby, but as an adult i give him about 50g of pellets a day. Im sure someone will be along with some more advice.

hi

If you put hay in his litter tray then he will eat while he poops - if you put hay in the bedroom he will eat and poop in the bedroom - I don't have anything in my rabbit's hutch except food dishes and a huge littertray containing paper based litter and lots of hay, in the 'bedroom' - it's actually an underbed storage box and works really well.

With food it's important not to chop and change with a baby rabbit - and to introduce new foods only a tiny bit at a time over a fortnight, so their stomach can build up levels of bacteria needed to digest something new.

As you know, it's important for them to eat lots of hay whatever age they are - I wouldn't leave a full dish all day for this reason - As baby rabbits need more food than adults, it would be better to give them 3 'meals' a day, with a big handful of dry food each time - then they'll eat lots of hay too hopefully - I think they're fully grown at about 6 or 7 months :)

Back