• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond?

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi,

The suggestion I am about to make is going to appear ridiculous, especially to anyone on was helping me a little while back when my rabbits were fighting?

Brief history we had 2 males (castrated) and 1 female (not spayed) who all lived together happily for 8 months until the males started fighting. We tried one of the males indoors as a house bunny but decided to get him a partner. We picked up another little girl from a rescue (unspayed again as far as we know) and after a little switching of peeps we finished with 2 pairs of male - female rabbits on either side of a fence in a large shed. They have spent 2 months now and everything is fine.

Part of me would love to try and get all these bunnies together in one group as instead of having an 8 by 3 area per pair, they'd have a good 8 by 6 area to run between 4. Also (especially with the bad weather) we have a very large run in the garden for them, but they spend a reduced time in it as I have to put each pair out seperately.

Is this a very bad idea from the start (considering the males history, and the fact both females are intact) or should I try and bond them all and if so what will be the best way to do it.

I evidently don't like the quiet life?

Cheers,

Nick.

Personally I would leave the harmonious situation as it is. The two bucks are likely to fight again, but more of an 'issue' is the fact that you have two un-spayed...ie HORMONAL...does. :shock: :shock: A recipe for friction!!!! :roll: :roll: There are probably many braver bunny carers than me who would say 'go on give it a try'...I guess I have seen too many injuries from fighting bunsters to embark on a mission of bonding with bucks who have already fought (THEY WILL REMEMBER!!) and two hormonal does. I guess I just aint very brave..... :roll: :roll: Jane and Bunsxx

hi

I don't think it's a matter of being brave, it's a matter of not wanting to risk your animals getting seriously injured on a whim - Sounds to me like they have a good life as it is - why rock the boat? :)

I'd agree. I have 2 pairs, they are kept apart. Sylvia and Humphrey HATE each other. Humphrey also dislikes Oli. Sylvia dislikes Tilly. Humphrey chases Tilly when Sylvia or Oli come near (but this is getting better). Sylvia sometimes chases Oli when she gets a whif of the other two. Putting them all together would be definite carnage and more vets bills to contend with as I have no doubt whatsoever that Humphrey and Sylvia would try and rip each other apart. And then Humphrey would start on Oli and Sylvia would start on Tilly. And they are all neutered!

I know some people make this work, but I really don't know how and I think it is very risky esp if you have 2 pairs that get along fine, and in each other's company. If you do decide to do it, why not look on some US rabbit forums? They seem more prone to keeping 'groups' of bunnies, but I think you need a lot of space and you may end up with some injuries. b-m

Back