• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what breed should it be?

UI want to get my first two bunnies what breed would be best. If you can could you include how big in weight and the size it would be? THANK YOU!!!

Well, breed isn't so important; it's just a matter of prefference. There's really no "calm" breed or "cuddly" breed. You might want to go down, take a look at the different rabbits they have, talk to them, and see if any of them seem like the rabbit for you.

As others have said - the breed is not the priority but the personality. It would be worth finding a good rescue and have a chat with them - they should be able to advise you on their rabbits and whether they should be suitable for you.

Very good advice. Breed standards are about looks, what colour the rabbit is, how long it's ears are, what shape it's head is and not about personality. So meeting some bunnies and picking an individual rather than going looking for a breed is the best way to find the rabbit for you.

One thing you might want to take into account is size as they will have impact on the type of accomodation you need.

Tam

I would also agree pick a rabbit by how you bond with it, after all you don't pick your friends by their looks alone. Personality and interaction with you are the important things you need to consider. As Tamsin points out the size of accomodation required will really depend on what size of buns you fall for. Most resuces will reserve a rabbit for a short period of time whilst you sort out their accomodation.

If you can give us an idea of the rough area you are in, someone maybe able to suggest some local rescues you can go and visit.

Janice

You just can't judge a bun by breed and looks alone, we went to a rescue centre and totally fell in love with our two, they weren't even fully bonded so we knew it wouldn't be easy and Fern had an ongoing eye problem that we knew would need continuous care.

But when a bunny steals your heart you don't have a choice, the rescue put a temporary reserve on so we had time to think about it and prepare our house and we got them two weeks later and have never regretted it.

You have to trust your heart and your gut instinct on this one

Erm, I think we should be careful what we write here and how we write it. There are people on this board that have pure breeds and that typically asked for that breed – and they may become offended. It is not wrong to want a certain breed, especially if size is a big importance. I am a HUGE fan of cross breed bunnies, and I will agree that popping along to your rescue to see some already fully grown bunnies will be a good idea. However should you want a certain breed that’s not wrong either. A lot of people like mini lops (because they like loppy eared rabbits and they are smaller in size) so try looking for a rabbit that fits your life style. Maybe do a bit of research first to help you find this perfect match :) But I would recommend getting a bunny from a rescue.

Back